Have you holidayed in the Highlands?

That'd be ace thanks, I think we'd be looking to move around a bit so might be after B&Bs more than cottages but any recommendations would be great

Just looking through pictures now, it looks amazing!

Ah, in that case visitscotland (lilypiglet posted the link) is probably the best starting point.

The way we do it (knowing that we go a lot!) is that we pick a cottage in an area that gives us a good base to explore a part of the country we haven't seen before or that we want to see again. We are fortunate in that we have a fair budget available for this I have to say, we spend between 500 and 700 a week on accommodation usually with exceptions either side. We also go outside of the school holidays, which usually amounts to a good discount.

The last place we stayed in was expensive (we got a discount for being with just the two of us), but the view was worth every penny: http://www.lhhscotland.com/properties/detail/?id=25220

If you are looking at cottages it is always worth contacting the agent or owner beforehand, we frequently find they are amenable to good deals out of season.

My brother lives in fife and we've been there a few times but we've also been up to skye,dingwall, plockton,loch ness etc.

A couple of years ago a work colleague was planning a touring holiday of scotland and asked me to circle some places to visit on a map. When he came back he enthused about the wildlife and the beauty of the area and couldn't wait to go again.

I've stayed all over Scotland. Be it camping (well glamping) to staying in cute little barrel shaped timber lodges in Crail.

I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that gives me free-rein to source and book working holidays with clients 2-3 times a year up here. I normally go for luxury lodges, with hot-tub thrown in. There's nothing finer than relaxing in the hot-tub, come rain, or snow, a beer (or 5) looking up at the starry night sky.

I've seen the northern lights as far down as Ayr! And there's nothing more satisfying than bagging a Munro, or two in a day.

I love the isle of Arran (and it's distillery) Haha!

Scotlands scenery is glorious anytime of the year. And has excellent skiing venues.

Been going to Scotland for hols for 10 years. Soon off to Nethybridge for a few days. Taking advantage of Scotrail's 55 club and senior railcard, we're travelling from Aviemore to Kyle of Lochalsh and back one day. Gives us 4 hours in Kyle. Great scenery. Also stayed at Perth, Oban, Pitlochry and a few others. Visiting distilleries is good fun.

I love it up there.

From Inverness there is a little bus that goes all the way to Durness. I stayed a while there because I just loved the place, so bleak and windswept with dramatic views, rare plants, loads of birds and dolphins in the bay. Plus it's close to the most NW tip of the mainland, Cape Wrath.

I just got back from a week in Durness, managed to avoid all the good weather in Sheffield...

I did the Cape Wrath trip, which is somewhere I'd always wanted to go. It's a 3 hour round trip by ferryboat then a rickety minibus as there's no access by road.

In fact we got stuck there for an extra couple of hours as the military were dropping bombs and we weren't allowed to leave till they finished. It's the only place in the UK where they're allowed to practice with 1000lb bombs. They're allowed to drop 2 a month and they decided to do it whilst we were there. On the plus side I saw a 1000lb bomb hit the small offshore island they use for target practice.

I also walked to Britain's most remote beach, also rated by some as the best, Sandwood Bay. It's a 9 mile round walk, but a stunning beach that looks more like it belongs on the Pacific coast of the USA than in Scotland.

Pics of Cape Wrath -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=646&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Cape+Wrath&oq=Cape+Wrath&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.86328.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..46.img..0.0.0.K0GWRz8D0Uw

Sandwood Bay -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=646&q=sandwood+bay&oq=sandwood+bay&gs_l=img.3..0l8j0i5j0i24.1225.4356.0.5264.12.11.0.1.1.0.262.1392.6j3j2.11.0....0...1ac.1.46.img..0.12.1386.A0xsEjjwvbs

I just got back from a week in Durness, managed to avoid all the good weather in Sheffield...

I did the Cape Wrath trip, which is somewhere I'd always wanted to go. It's a 3 hour round trip by ferryboat then a rickety minibus as there's no access by road.

In fact we got stuck there for an extra couple of hours as the military were dropping bombs and we weren't allowed to leave till they finished. It's the only place in the UK where they're allowed to practice with 1000lb bombs. They're allowed to drop 2 a month and they decided to do it whilst we were there. On the plus side I saw a 1000lb bomb hit the small offshore island they use for target practice.

I also walked to Britain's most remote beach, also rated by some as the best, Sandwood Bay. It's a 9 mile round walk, but a stunning beach that looks more like it belongs on the Pacific coast of the USA than in Scotland.

Pics of Cape Wrath -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=646&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Cape+Wrath&oq=Cape+Wrath&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.86328.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..46.img..0.0.0.K0GWRz8D0Uw

Sandwood Bay -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=646&q=sandwood+bay&oq=sandwood+bay&gs_l=img.3..0l8j0i5j0i24.1225.4356.0.5264.12.11.0.1.1.0.262.1392.6j3j2.11.0....0...1ac.1.46.img..0.12.1386.A0xsEjjwvbs

Nice :) Did you manage to get some chocolate as well? In the old army-base?

Nice :) Did you manage to get some chocolate as well? In the old army-base?

I wandered round the 'craft village' in the old RAF base at Durness, but didn't get any chocs. It's a strange place with a strange history. All the old military buildings at Durness date to the first years of the Cold War after the USSR developed atomic weapons. The only method of delivery back then was by plane, so the low level radar station was built to provide early warning, being closer to Russia than the rest of the UK.

It was never commissioned. By the time it was built it was already obsolete as intercontinental ballistic missiles had been developed.

We spent more time in the only pub, the Smoo Cave Hotel as it was only a couple of hundred yards from our cottage :)

Archived