Have you holidayed in the Highlands?

I can thoroughly recommend Glengorm Castle on the west coast of Mull, looking out over the Atlantic.

It has about nine rooms, all huge, with equally huge bathrooms, roll top baths, etc. Sofas and armchairs and log fires everywhere. Excellent food from the estate (fresh raspberries, kippers etc).

Best of all, the free whisky library. There are hundreds of whiskies to try. (There are books too, but they are not often read, for obvious reasons).:)

Used to go up every year and stayed in a cottage on Loch Duich opposite the castle a few times.

Stayed there as well, Leachachan barn was the name of the cottage that we stayed in. Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous part of the world, the peninsula it is on (Glenelg) is incredible, as is Knoydart although I only saw a tiny part of it as it has no roads!.

---------- Post added 15-06-2014 at 21:52 ----------

I can thoroughly recommend Glengorm Castle on the west coast of Mull, looking out over the Atlantic.

It has about nine rooms, all huge, with equally huge bathrooms, roll top baths, etc. Sofas and armchairs and log fires everywhere. Excellent food from the estate (fresh raspberries, kippers etc).

Best of all, the free whisky library. There are hundreds of whiskies to try. (There are books too, but they are not often read, for obvious reasons).:)

Sounds ace, the missus is planning a trip to Mull for next year, will make sure to take the library on board (I am a trained librarian after all! :D)

My old lady was a Jock so I must have some Scots blood in me.

I went to Scotland on holiday with my mum, then with the school youth hosteling, then when I got wed, we go to Jockland 2 or 3 times a year, for the last 43 years.

We have to look very hard to find places we have not visited - yet.

Don't forget, when in Scotland you can get the four seasons in one day.

The steam train ride from Fort Bill to Mallaig is a thing of wonder, although it's quite expensive now.

As is the steam train ride from Aviemore to The Boat of Garten.

Angel1.

Spent a lot of time there but its not the kind of holiday you are going to get a sun tan you are more like to get frost bite or eaten alive by the midges,there is some lovely scenery there I must admit but when you have worked all year you just want to lay on the beach in the sun for a few weeks not wrap up against a tornado,I love this country myself and if it wasn't for the unpredictable weather here I wouldn't go abroad...

Going up to the highlands for a week in September, so looking forward too it, weve been to Ayrshire and Glencoe before but never been as far north as we are going this time, we love walking so it will be perfect for us although i must admit i am already looking forward to a visit to the Glenfiddich distillery :hihi:

Going up to the highlands for a week in September, so looking forward too it, weve been to Ayrshire and Glencoe before but never been as far north as we are going this time, we love walking so it will be perfect for us although i must admit i am already looking forward to a visit to the Glenfiddich distillery :hihi:

If you are near Speyside/Moray coast, than do check out http://www.dallasdhu.com/

Of the distilleries I've been too I found this one the most informative, another nice one is Glen Farclas which is proper family run.

Archived