Why is the Snooker Championship held in Sheffield?

If the table is perfectly level in the Crucible (53°22'51.81"N ... 1°28'00.43"W), then to move it anywhere else, taking into consideration the curvature of the Earth, it would be at an angle and all the balls would roll to one cushion, or, in a worst case scenario, could actually roll completely off the table and cause significant damage to the oche.

Quoted for truth (and hilarity) :)

Quoted for truth (and hilarity) :)

Of course, the slightly less plausible reason could be that if the Crucible's good enough for British Sea Power to perform 'Man of Aran' on Saturday 14th (4pm), which I happen to be going to, then it's good enough for the famous snookerists Walt White and Hurricane Katrina (or whatever their names are). :)

Because Sheffield is boring hence the boring sport, simples !!!

Sheffield is boring? Hardly. I saw Batman getting on a tram in town once. You generally only see that in Gotham City.

Of course, the slightly less plausible reason could be that if the Crucible's good enough for British Sea Power to perform 'Man of Aran' on Saturday 14th (4pm), which I happen to be going to, then it's good enough for the famous snookerists Walt White and Hurricane Katrina (or whatever their names are). :)

I heard it was because snooker cue chalk is made from ground down Blue John, which is mined just down the road in Castleton. The genuine proper world championship grade stuff is really heavy, so its easier to have the chalk travel as short a distance as possible.

Here's a picture of the first world championship held in the caves under Castleton:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/27048497.jpg

Archived