Home Insurance - Advice needed!

I'm having a bit of a debate with a friend of mine that owns a business.

The business is based down south. The company sells tools, directly to mechanics, via a mobile shop (Sprinter van).

One of the employees, who lives in Sheffield, whom I also know well, has had some tools go missing from his garage. The tools belonged to his employer, they were delivered to him and they didn't fit on the van, so they were stored in his garage, on a temporary basis.

Obviously, the police were contacted and the case is still being investigated. The police are aware that the tools belonged to the employer and not the home owner; they also have a list of what was taken and it's exact value.

The insurance company have told the employee that the items are not covered as they belong to his employers and are not personal. Fair enough.

The employer has now told him to tell his insurance company that the items are nothing to do with work, and that they were just being stored for a friend.

Personally, I think the employee should stick to his story, as the police are involved and the tools DO belong to his employer, NOT a friend.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

As he's already told the police that the stuff is his employer's then he'd be on sticky ground if he told the insurance it was being stored for a friend... not only would it not improve the situation for the employer but he'd be in bother as well..

As he's already told the police that the stuff is his employer's then he'd be on sticky ground if he told the insurance it was being stored for a friend... not only would it not improve the situation for the employer but he'd be in bother as well..

That's what I was concerned about. The guy could end up in serious trouble if the police find out that he's lied to the insurance company about who the tools belong to. Surely?

That's what I was concerned about. The guy could end up in serious trouble if the police find out that he's lied to the insurance company about who the tools belong to. Surely?

I suppose it would be insurance fraud.....

That's awful of the employer to put the employee in this position

he absolutely should not change his story, especially has the police have already been informed

I feel for your friend to be put in that position especially as he might think it will put his job in jeopardy

That's awful of the employer to put the employee in this position

he absolutely should not change his story, especially has the police have already been informed

I feel for your friend to be put in that position especially as he might think it will put his job in jeopardy

He is worried about his job. I think his employers will be looking at other ways to get their money back if he doesn't go through the insurance, too. I say the employer is a friend, but he's more of an acquaintance (bit of a nob to be honest). He's talking about deducting it from his wages and all sorts. I think he should get a lawyer involved personally.

He is worried about his job. I think his employers will be looking at other ways to get their money back if he doesn't go through the insurance, too. I say the employer is a friend, but he's more of an acquaintance (bit of a nob to be honest). He's talking about deducting it from his wages and all sorts. I think he should get a lawyer involved personally.

If the employer was that bothered about his stuff he should have arranged insurance cover himself...unfair of him to expect his employee to foot the bill...

If the employer was that bothered about his stuff he should have arranged insurance cover himself...unfair of him to expect his employee to foot the bill...

Indeed. Apparently it would have been insured if it was all stored in the van, but there just wasn't room. On the down side, it's sounding like he forgot to lock his garage!!

It would be fraud. The company is stupid. Doubly so as the police know different. He should get written confirmation from them as to their instructions or write to them that he in uncomfortable with their cause of action as it would involve telling a version that was different to the one already given to the police. Keep it as evidence.

How long has he been employed for?

If hes in a union or he has home inruance or a paid for bank account then he may get free legal advice otherwise go and see cab.

Archived