Music in Sheffield - Any good memories?

Hiya! I seem to have got myself involved in doing a bit of oral history research for the Sheffield city music festival (scheduled to happen September/October this year) and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me! Does anyone have any good memories or stories about music events, bands, pub sessions, songs etc. from Sheffield from anytime over the last century? (Does anyone remember songs they used to sing at school, or local songs they've heard?) Also, has anyone got any good ideas about any oral history projects about past music in Sheffield that they'd like to see done as part of the festival? I'd love to know what people think (and what people remember!), I've been given a bit of a blank canvas and I'm a bit overwhelmed! Cheers!! Love Spiky x

• 4 years later...

I remember going to see Joe Cocker quite a bit.

The Fleur De Lys at Totley is one place that sticks in my mind.

Talking of memories, the drummer in Joe's band, Brian, I think if I remember rightly, used to work at the same place I did. Gee Decorators Merchants. He and his lovley wife Barbara, used to quite often give me a lift home from work .

Philharmonic Concerts in the City Hall. We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

There have been many other great occasions from Barbirolli to the present day but credit for the Philharmonic series in former times - which are soon to be revived - was down to Enid Hattersley who served on the Libraries and Arts Committee, attracting artistes and orchestras from around the world at very affordable prices; the Hallé being the backbone of the seasons' series.

We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

Wow I'd like to have heard that, do people bootleg classical?

Little Spiky,a lot of people have posted a lot of stuff about music in Sheffield over the years and I don't think they'll want to repeat themselves.So,to get you started start searches for the Mojo club,the Esquire,Club 60,Down Broadway,the Wappentake,the Buccaneer,the Limit,Dave Berry,Joe Cocker,Frank White,Jimmy Crawford,the Stringfellow brothers,Sheffield City Hall,Groups of the 60s,Marples punk gigs.All these should turn up a lot more leads for you to follow.I'm sure I've left a lot out.Maybe some other people can give the lad a few pointers.The best of luck with your project.

Archived