Music in Sheffield - Any good memories?

Heres some info about the new Punk book about the Sheffield area of the late 70's to early 80's..its out April 23rd and you can get it for a special pre-order price from now until that date..contact rotherpunk@aol.com

'Our Generation' is the unique and very first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by the author and over 150 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, rare tickets and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top rank. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are also refreshingly told by fans in their own words.

This story is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

The book is 444 pages and full of many fantastic Rare and exclusive photographs from private collections, along with countless unique memories and experiences from those who were there at the time. Includes words from Charlie Harper (UK Subs), TV Smith (The Adverts), Jo Callis (The Rezillos) and many more musicians, fans, Punk Rockers, Mod Revivalists, New Romantics and Post-Punk fans. No corporations involved…this is a 'Do it yourself' Punk Rock production and the very first of its kind!

There will initially be a LTD edition run of a 1000 copies available.

Philharmonic Concerts in the City Hall. We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

There have been many other great occasions from Barbirolli to the present day but credit for the Philharmonic series in former times - which are soon to be revived - was down to Enid Hattersley who served on the Libraries and Arts Committee, attracting artistes and orchestras from around the world at very affordable prices; the Hallé being the backbone of the seasons' series.

I remember going to see the Halle Orchestra with loads of other school kids for a matinee performance. Must have been around 1960/61. That's the only time I've ever heard a full orchestra play live - you don't just hear it - you feel it too. I remember when I was at Huntsmans Gardens every year a music group would come and perform for us. Does anyone remember the blind guy who (I think?) played the flute? He had what looked like a pair of binoculars that he would use to peer at the audience occasionally. There was also the 'big' lady that sang 'Cherry Ripe' every year they came. Must have been around 1957/58.

I used to love the Halle Orchestra concerts from school. Went to a few but I left in 57 so maybe it stopped shortly after that. Also the Sheffield Schools Choir, made up of children from all the Sheffield schools. Half City rehearsals as it neared the time, then full City ones then the big night. My dentist actually came one year in his top hat and tails.I was dead chuffed....Fantastic stuff, but I learned from another thread is now no more.

I remember going to see Joe Cocker quite a bit.

The Fleur De Lys at Totley is one place that sticks in my mind.

Talking of memories, the drummer in Joe's band, Brian, I think if I remember rightly, used to work at the same place I did. Gee Decorators Merchants. He and his lovley wife Barbara, used to quite often give me a lift home from work .

Yes - Saturday night at The Fleur - Vance Arnold and The Avengers. Joe's 'Ride on Josephine' went down a storm as did the pints of Stones. The band used to play Sat nights at St. Columbas Church Hall, Crosspool around61/62.

• 2 months later...

Our Generation has recieved 100% POSITIVE feedback so far with some great press coverage (Sheff star, Telegraph, South Yorkshire Times, Rotherham Advertiser etc)...a review in Record Collector magazine coming up next month too...

Everyone who has read it from Jo Callis (REzillos), Martin Lilleker (Beats workin' for a living) Punk fans, Mods and all those who contributed and many more all of them have enjoyed it and some are on their 2nd read....

Sex Pistols site 'god save the Sex Pistols' say its their book of the year!

The book is available from HMV (Sheffield and Meadowhall), Jacks records (Sheffield), Philip Howard books (Wickersley) WH Smiths stores and direct from me (the author) at rotherpunk@aol.com

Archived