Crash on a57 air ambulance

That looks like it's almost exactly where the new layout rejoins the untouched section.

It's not where the road has historically had accidents, which has been the other side of the traffic lights (now roundabout and totally different).

That is the old untouched section on the south anston side of the garden centre which is also now a 50 speed limit as well.

That looks like it's almost exactly where the new layout rejoins the untouched section.

It's not where the road has historically had accidents, which has been the other side of the traffic lights (now roundabout and totally different).

I think very differently about that bit after the Todwick x-road where this latest crash happened.

The road paint (edge of carriageway brought in from the left) suggests there has historically been an overtaking issue (and crashes/near-misses) after the x-roads which was itself an overtaking hotspot. The road is narrowed by this paint until the last slight left bend prior to the cutting where the paint returns to the gutter. The road-narrowing pushes opposing flows of traffic together and makes overtaking more difficult to contemplate for the bulk of drivers. It is not a bike-lane.

Further on the cutting itself blocks view of the road ahead (suggesting "don't overtake) and the view beyond that is of houses and a lower limit ("don't overtake" again).

The road as a whole (not just the bends and Todwick x-road) has a history derived, as I suggested, by its status as a major link road in this area between M1 and A1. Drivers on it have a "get there" agenda and have frequently messed up.

That is the old untouched section on the south anston side of the garden centre which is also now a 50 speed limit as well.

Isn't that what I said?

The road up to the garden centre was moved, just beyond it, on the anston side, is where the untouched road resumes.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 07:25 ----------

I think very differently about that bit after the Todwick x-road where this latest crash happened.

The road paint (edge of carriageway brought in from the left) suggests there has historically been an overtaking issue (and crashes/near-misses) after the x-roads which was itself an overtaking hotspot. The road is narrowed by this paint until the last slight left bend prior to the cutting where the paint returns to the gutter. The road-narrowing pushes opposing flows of traffic together and makes overtaking more difficult to contemplate for the bulk of drivers. It is not a bike-lane.

Further on the cutting itself blocks view of the road ahead (suggesting "don't overtake) and the view beyond that is of houses and a lower limit ("don't overtake" again).

The road as a whole (not just the bends and Todwick x-road) has a history derived, as I suggested, by its status as a major link road in this area between M1 and A1. Drivers on it have a "get there" agenda and have frequently messed up.

All I can tell you is that the major fatalities in the past have occurred on the other side of the traffic lights, particularly concentrated on the S bends.

You are correct about the point of the paint on the corners, but I've never quite understood why it needs to be there. It was never safe to overtake there due to the lack of visibility and I've never seen anyone overtake there.

We were working that day and took a picture of the emergency crew attending the scene which give you a clear understanding of the exact location of the incident.
Thx H_Hounds, makes it quite clear indeed.

But mystifies me all more for it, since the 2 Vauxhalls were arriving from Anston (side of road with single lane all the way up to where H_Hounds took this shot, opposed to the one DT Ralge & Cyclone are discussing above) and the BMW was driving towards it (according to the article).

Perhaps one Vauxhall was overtaking the other in the bend, coming head-on to the BMW. I've seen dafter manoeuvers on there.

I really hope the man injured is recovering soon.
Reiterated.

Cyclone is correct re. collisions and accidents on that stretch. The really bad ones have mostly been in the old S bends between the Red Lion crossroads and the M1, more rarely at the actual crossroads, and I have never seen or heard of one occurring previously where this one happened (which is a long way (relatively speaking) after the choking section of the older version of the A57 - that ended at about the level of the yellow/brown house between the garden centre and the Red Lion on the 'old path' of the A57).

Isn't that what I said?

The road up to the garden centre was moved, just beyond it, on the anston side, is where the untouched road resumes.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 07:25 ----------

All I can tell you is that the major fatalities in the past have occurred on the other side of the traffic lights, particularly concentrated on the S bends.

You are correct about the point of the paint on the corners, but I've never quite understood why it needs to be there. It was never safe to overtake there due to the lack of visibility and I've never seen anyone overtake there.

I heard that there had been one fatality at least on the dipping stretch as well around the entrance to the golf course car park (witness the 4 yellow-backed warning triangles telling you as much). Come back a bit from that there was until quite recently a bedraggled wreath on a lamppost on RHS after Anston x-roads level with the cemetery.

I have seen plenty of drivers itching to overtake (just another car or two having gone for it at the x-roads) on the straight after Todwick x-roads hence the carriageway marking paint having been pulled in from the LHS kerb.

No, you said it "Looks like"

Errr, and you understood "looks like" to mean what?

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 07:31 ----------

I heard that there had been one fatality at least on the dipping stretch as well around the entrance to the golf course car park (witness the 4 yellow-backed warning triangles telling you as much). Come back a bit from that there was until quite recently a bedraggled wreath on a lamppost on RHS after Anston x-roads level with the cemetery.

An entirely different part of the road then. The golf course is about 5 miles from there, and even the cemetry at Anston is at least 2.

I have seen plenty of drivers itching to overtake (just another car or two having gone for it at the x-roads) on the straight after Todwick x-roads hence the carriageway marking paint having been pulled in from the LHS kerb.

The turning for the garden centre, and then the several bends make it mostly impossible to overtake on that section.

I would have gladly overtaken last night, the two cars in front who find 45 to be an appropriate speed on a road that was until a few months ago a NSL.

But it wasn't possible until we reached the new roundabout.

Yeah, I drove past it as well. There were about six cars stopped, and there was at least one person lying on the floor receiving first aid.

I didn't see a bike though, could have been two different incidents. This was on the approach to the slip road for the Mosborough section of the A57, just after the exit for Prince of Wales Hill.

Yeah, I drove past it as well. There were about six cars stopped, and there was at least one person lying on the floor receiving first aid.

I didn't see a bike though, could have been two different incidents. This was on the approach to the slip road for the Mosborough section of the A57, just after the exit for Prince of Wales Hill.

Will have been the same incident. About 7 ish? I only assumed a bike was involved because the person receiving treatment was laid on the road. I couldn't see any wreckage though?! Hope they're ok.

Archived