Stand for Steam station iron burnt my carpet ? What to do?

Hello, Iv just used my new steam station iron, brilliant results but picked up the bottom bit that holds iron and it's somehow left a 2 inch long burn mark on my carpet, I'm psssd off!

What do I do ? Iv emailed where Iv bought it from, awaiting reply but I don't know how to play it?

It's there faulty iron, do they owe me a carpet? Or they gonna tell me to go whistle?

The station for a steam iron should not burn the surface on which it is placed, whether that is a carpet, laminate worktop or whatever. If there are no warnings not to use it on carpets, laminate, etc., and there is no heatproof mat or other safety device supplied with the station (which you failed to use) then it sounds very much as though the device was faulty.

Don't let them fob you off with this - it sounds dangerous. If your email produced no results, phone Customer Relations. If they are not 'customer facing' (don't you just hate that phrase?!) write them a Letter Before Action giving them 14 days to replace, repair or refund. How much did it cost? And how old is the carpet?

I had one once, btw, and got fed up of waiting for the iron to heat up in between very short bursts of ironing...I chucked it and went back to a traditional one with a flex. Took up far less room, too. Perhaps they are better now?

Edited by aliceBB

Before doing anything else, you would be best advised to read the User Manual.

For example, the Russell Hobbs Steam Station tells you to place the base unit on a heat resistant surface and specifically advises against carpets.

7 Sit the base unit on a stable, level, heat-resistant surface, preferably a purpose-built

“steam generator” type ironing board.

8 Don’t sit the base unit on a soft, carpeted, or upholstered surface, as this may block

the vents underneath the base unit.

What is the make and model in this case?

Edited by cgksheff

It had loads of warnings but nothing about surfaces.

They have emailed back asking how long was the iron on before I used?

What's that all about? I'm thinking the red hot lead being on the floor?

I put up board ? Filled iron up, plugged it it, waited a few moments realized water tank was attached but not all together pushed flat to iron base so sussed that, steam came and away I went, using the ironing board to hold they iron while swapping clothes over.

Hi again it's Quest Steam Generator Iron, 2600 Watt

---------- Post added 15-06-2014 at 22:19 ----------

Iv just researched the company that sold on Amazon it babz media think an up and coming company selling whole at cheap prices. Iv sent an email back to them telling the what I actually did and Iv come to the conclusion it was the very very long vaporella cord that got seriously hot by me running my hand over the cord going from warm to scolding hot in one place that was resting on carpet all the time.

The warnings say - the vaporella Cord may become warm in use this is normal.

- the cord can get hot in use it is designed to withstand very high temperatures it is entirely normal - don't be worried.

I'm so mad I'm thinking of having a drive down for them to test it while I'm watching!

Edited by KELLYP

• 5 months later...