Do you drink Yorkshire Tea?

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

You think thats bad, try suppin London beer, Watneys or Directors.  Its piped in from the Thames. :gag:

That's true, or it tastes like it

I once went to live there, but a few weeks of that changed my mind and brought me back to good old Sheff.

They all look at you as if you came from Mars if you talk to them in a pub.

56 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That's true, or it tastes like it

I once went to live there, but a few weeks of that changed my mind and brought me back to good old Sheff.

They all look at you as if you came from Mars if you talk to them in a pub.

Don't get me started, I it'll 30 years in April since I went to a residential College in Lincolnshire aged just turned 17, and with all the Londoners living in the main Hall it was like living in an extended episode of Eastenders, I can't comment on the abuse I received merely for living North of the M25 much less having a Yorkshire accent! :loopy: 

14 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Don't get me started, I it'll 30 years in April since I went to a residential College in Lincolnshire aged just turned 17, and with all the Londoners living in the main Hall it was like living in an extended episode of Eastenders, I can't comment on the abuse I received merely for living North of the M25 much less having a Yorkshire accent! :loopy:

Not nice for anyone to have to go through I'm sure.

But let's be totally honest, if some cockney wide boy or upper class posh kid from millionaires row in Hampshire joined an inner city comprehensive in Barnsley, I'll doubt they would be free from abuse either.

Over the past at 30 years times are starting to slowly change, but the melting pot of school and college life still is ripe with teasing and name calling and bullying when anyone has even the slightest difference to the norm.

Kids particularly are savages with that sort of thing, but it spills out into lots of adult life too. Just look at some of the comments on this forum. Even every one us is not above picking out a stereotype or spotting some difference or finding some amusement in someone else's position. 

Even the companies themselves embrace social  stereotypes. Yorkshire Tea were famous for it in their adverts filled with exaggerated references of Yorkshire superiority and mocking of soft southerners drinking their dish water against proper brewed tea drinking northerners...

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

I only drink coffee.   Can't stand the taste of tea.

As for bullying in schools about accents  .......   I was born in Sheffield and at the age of eleven moved to Aldershot and then to London.  At school in London I was called " Yorkshire Pudding "  😂   I loved the nickname as I was always proud to be from Yorkshire.  I never classed it as bullying, it was water off a ducks back to me although nowadays the snowflakes might think different.  

Edited by francypants

1 hour ago, francypants said:

I only drink coffee.   Can't stand the taste of tea.

As for bullying in schools about accents  .......   I was born in Sheffield and at the age of eleven moved to Aldershot and then to London.  At school in London I was called " Yorkshire Pudding "  😂   I loved the nickname as I was always proud to be from Yorkshire.  I never classed it as bullying, it was water off a ducks back to me although nowadays the snowflakes might think different.  

Yorkshire Pudding's pretty tame compared to some of the stuff I got actually.

Most of which I doubt the Mods would thank me for repeating.

55 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Yorkshire Pudding's pretty tame compared to some of the stuff I got actually.

Most of which I doubt the Mods would thank me for repeating.

I can imagine what you've gone through Mr. X.

And all credit to you for rising above the scum.

A relative of mine only drinks Ringtons tea, they have it delivered to the house once a month.  I can’t say what it tastes like because I only drink coffee but it looks strong and smells strong, I don’t like tea at all.  I do like Ringtons cakes and biscuits tho.

I don’t know how many might remember it or how popular it was but our local grocery used to sell Hornimans loose leaf tea so that’s what we had.

Used to collect the stamps on the packet for a future discount.

I see I think is still a brand name but not seen it for years.

Perhaps the name is a problem nowadays😁