Do you drink Yorkshire Tea?

Yes I do.

Yes I do and I think it's turned me onto a tea snob.

I drink Yorkshire Tea

I buy Yorkshire Tea if it's on offer.

Yes i drink yorkshire tea

I'm a proud drinker of Yorkshire Gold Tea here.

Yorkshire Tea for us

Best tea ever.

my relatives have converted to Yorkshire tea after drinking it with Sheffield water.

We drink it in Australia.

I survive on it!

Have you all lost your minds?!

Yorkshire Tea is VILE!

It looks and tastes like dirty dishwater.

Why do you drink it? Really, do tell. Is it because it's called "Yorkshire Tea"

:roll:

I can imagine that some suit in marketing (probably a cockney as well) couldn't work out why their horrid tea wasn't selling well Oop North. So he has a brainwave! "I know" he says "Let's call it Yorkshire Tea! It doesn't matter that the tea isn't grown in Yorkshire. Them Northerners are so thick they probably can't even find Yorkshire on a map of Northern England!"

How on Earth did you all manage to fall for the spin?

Shame on you all!

:nono:

I stick with Yorkshire Tea every time now. I too thought it was adman marketing nonsense but I've tested it scientifically against competitors over a period of months. When I can be bothered making it (about once a day) I like Assam leaf tea. This is the ideal tea against which I measure all teabag tea: small caffetiere, heaped teaspoon of Assam leaves, stir well, brew for 1 min, stir again, put top on, pour into mug containing desired amount of milk. Nectar. So I think the taste of tea I am looking for from a teabag is that taste. So I presumed the teabag I would like best had the most Assam in the blend, the most efficient flavour-extracting bag and don't forget to use a mug which is not too big (so it isn't too weak).

Here are my results which will be published in a leading peer-reviewed beverage journal very soon:

-Assam teabags: aren't strong enough and surprisingly never taste anything like the leaf version. Maybe they only put the sweepings-up in the bags?

-Red label own brand teabags (eg Sainsbury) - these are not bad if you have the right water, but you need to bash them around in the mug well enough.

-Extra Strong own brands (eg Morrisons) this was my bag of choice for a while, until the price went up to near-YT levels.

-PGTips: average, can make a good cup if brewed well

-Tetley: better than PG

-Typhoo: rubbish

-Twinings yellow label: rubbish

-Yorkshire Tea: Yes this is the one. Seems to make 'a right good cup' (as my mum used to say) every time!

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 11:57 ----------

The worst tea I've ever drunk (in the UK) is served up by the bacon sandwich shop in Pond St bus station. Whatever bags they use must be the cheapest they could find. A horrible cup of grey tasteless water. The bread rolls were no better. So that's the other end of my tea spectrum.

Starbucks 'English breakfast tea' is very different to that but similarly unpleasant.

Edited by Bilge
  • Haha 1

• 8 years later...
On 16/06/2014 at 22:58, poppet2 said:

Whereabouts is it grown in Yorkshire?

Now I'm not a tea drinker, but I have been asking  myself the same question....

Does Yorkshire Tea actually come from Yorkshire?

Are there tea plantations in the hills above Huddersfield, where it's harvested by people in flat caps and carried to warehouses by teams of highly trained whippets.

Or do they actually grow their tea leaves in massive hydroponic plantation's two miles beneath the surface of Dewsbury..

Legend has it, tis grown in secret chambers underneath the Yorkshire Dales by ancient blind Monks blessed by the brewing Gods,

Each Monk plants a seed in the yolk of a fried egg, and waters it with bacon grease, this creates the perfect brew.

I think Yorkshire Tea is FAKE! 

Basically the only thing Yorkshire about Yorkshire Tea is the packaging.

On 18/06/2014 at 22:06, The Joker said:

Have you all lost your minds?!

Yorkshire Tea is VILE!

It looks and tastes like dirty dishwater.

Why do you drink it? Really, do tell. Is it because it's called "Yorkshire Tea"

:roll:

I can imagine that some suit in marketing (probably a cockney as well) couldn't work out why their horrid tea wasn't selling well Oop North. So he has a brainwave! "I know" he says "Let's call it Yorkshire Tea! It doesn't matter that the tea isn't grown in Yorkshire. Them Northerners are so thick they probably can't even find Yorkshire on a map of Northern England!"

How on Earth did you all manage to fall for the spin?

Shame on you all!

:nono:

You don't say what you drink but all those I've tried are like weasel p.   You don't know what you're missing and we are laughing all the way to the teapot and back.

We like Sean Bean shoutin  abart  it  an'all.

Edited by Organgrinder

On 19/06/2014 at 11:47, Bilge said:

I stick with Yorkshire Tea every time now. I too thought it was adman marketing nonsense but I've tested it scientifically against competitors over a period of months. When I can be bothered making it (about once a day) I like Assam leaf tea. This is the ideal tea against which I measure all teabag tea: small caffetiere, heaped teaspoon of Assam leaves, stir well, brew for 1 min, stir again, put top on, pour into mug containing desired amount of milk. Nectar. So I think the taste of tea I am looking for from a teabag is that taste. So I presumed the teabag I would like best had the most Assam in the blend, the most efficient flavour-extracting bag and don't forget to use a mug which is not too big (so it isn't too weak).

Here are my results which will be published in a leading peer-reviewed beverage journal very soon:

-Assam teabags: aren't strong enough and surprisingly never taste anything like the leaf version. Maybe they only put the sweepings-up in the bags?

-Red label own brand teabags (eg Sainsbury) - these are not bad if you have the right water, but you need to bash them around in the mug well enough.

-Extra Strong own brands (eg Morrisons) this was my bag of choice for a while, until the price went up to near-YT levels.

-PGTips: average, can make a good cup if brewed well

-Tetley: better than PG

-Typhoo: rubbish

-Twinings yellow label: rubbish

-Yorkshire Tea: Yes this is the one. Seems to make 'a right good cup' (as my mum used to say) every time!

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 11:57 ----------

The worst tea I've ever drunk (in the UK) is served up by the bacon sandwich shop in Pond St bus station. Whatever bags they use must be the cheapest they could find. A horrible cup of grey tasteless water. The bread rolls were no better. So that's the other end of my tea spectrum.

Starbucks 'English breakfast tea' is very different to that but similarly unpleasant.

I drink Red label own brand, they're a very nice and refreshing drink.

Tetley's are nice as well.

Agree with you about Typhoo, I think Yorkshire Tea is okay, but over priced.

Twinings are okay, but need to be left a while to brew. Been years since I had PG tips so can't comment.

Rington's tea is nice - if you can get hold of it.

I agree with you about the Sandwich shop at Pond Street bus station - overpriced, crap quality, and service with a scowl.

Edited by Mister M