Under-5s damaged by sleepovers with separated fathers?

I remember being banished to my parents room, and not my room. I always though that this was because my room had a lot of my toys and as such it wasn't much of a punishment whereas my parents room was boring so the only thing I could do was sit or lie down, and contemplate what I did wrong.

Yes, that makes sense. I used to be banished to my parents' room too - only to get into even more trouble for trying out all my mum's make-up, perfume etc.

My husband once sent our youngest upstairs after he (the child, not the husband!) had spent all of one wet Sunday afternoon being vile to his sister, his brother, the cat, us, everyone. 'Get up those stairs and don't come down until you can learn to be nice to people!'' was the exasperated instruction. Child duly stomped off upstairs, but stopped at the top and yelled down, 'How can I learn how to be nice to people when there's no people up here to practise being nice TO?!

To which we had no answer.

Yes, that seems the obvious thing to do if you do not want them in your bed.

How is it any less safe than leaving them on a step/stair? They could throw themselves around on the staircase and fall - staircases are more of a hazard than most bedrooms, I would think.

Supernanny puts them on the last step at the bottom of the staircase, otherwise a small chair in a part of the house.

Yes, that seems the obvious thing to do if you do not want them in your bed.

But there is a big difference between leaving a small child alone in an empty house (which responsible parents would not do) and putting a child in a room and shutting the door on him for 4 or 5 minutes. How is it any less safe than leaving them on a step/stair? They could throw themselves around on the staircase and fall - staircases are more of a hazard than most bedrooms, I would think.

My friends Daughter was so upset by being shut in her room she used to totally trash it, then one day she ended up in A&E after pulling the wardrobe over on her and she cant have been more than 5 I think younger.

My friends Daughter was so upset by being shut in her room she used to totally trash it, then one day she ended up in A&E after pulling the wardrobe over on her and she cant have been more than 5 I think younger.

Oh dear. Sounds as though anger management classes might have been more appropriate.

One of ours (normally the tidiest, as well!) trashed his room once after we read him Beatrix Potter story about two mice that ran amok in a dolls house. When we asked him why he did it, he said he was just playing at being the Two Bad Mice.

Rather obscure. What would be the original 'nonsense', then, if this is 'more nonsense'?

What 'way of thinking' are you on about?

There is a feminist movement spreading lies and hate across social media, using that hash tag, and silly terms like "rape culture". It seems a lot of young women are buying into it, causing paranoia, and hate.

There is a feminist movement spreading lies and hate across social media, using that hash tag, and silly terms like "rape culture". It seems a lot of young women are buying into it, causing paranoia, and hate.

Something of an overreaction on your part?

Leach is not known for her extreme feminist views at all, she isn't associated with any men-hating social media groups and she hasn't mentioned 'rape culture' or anything similar.

Oh dear. Sounds as though anger management classes might have been more appropriate.

One of ours (normally the tidiest, as well!) trashed his room once after we read him Beatrix Potter story about two mice that ran amok in a dolls house. When we asked him why he did it, he said he was just playing at being the Two Bad Mice.

oh dear sounds like a good old fashioned smack on the bottom or legs was more appropriate:roll:

I disagree. Smacking kids never taught them anything except that hitting is OK - so they learn to do it to others.

no sorry i disagree, up to about 7yrs a quick smack (not beat before anyone starts) is exactly whats needed to shock the child into realising that they did was wrong, most dont understand reasoning until at least 7, after that age reasoning becomes more productive, if more parents controlled young kids with a quick slap on the legs we might get better behaved teenagers and young adults.

no sorry i disagree, up to about 7yrs a quick smack (not beat before anyone starts) is exactly whats needed to shock the child into realising that they did was wrong, most dont understand reasoning until at least 7, after that age reasoning becomes more productive, if more parents controlled young kids with a quick slap on the legs we might get better behaved teenagers and young adults.

Why not 8, 9, 10? It would seem that your solution is to put the onus of intelligence on infants by trying to work out what it is they are doing wrong by you yourself avoiding the complexity by simply lashing out...any lazy dodo can lash out.

Archived