Leeds City Market. Car park closure cuts trade by 40%

It was reported on Look North last night that the closure of a car park close to Leeds City Market had cut trade by 40% and many businesses were on the brink of closure. Similarly shops around the market had also lost substatial trade. It seems market shoppers like their cars and are not prepared to trudge around town with bags of shopping.

It was reported on Look North last night that the closure of a car park close to Leeds City Market had cut trade by 40% and many businesses were on the brink of closure. Similarly shops around the market had also lost substatial trade. It seems market shoppers like their cars and are not prepared to trudge around town with bags of shopping.

The proof is in the pudding, The Castle Market had two car parks at one time then the powers that be stopped them from being used[ for whatever reason no one knows.]

This caused a downturn in trade as is being experienced now in Leeds.

Im sorry but this just sounds like more excuses and woe is me tales from the traders again. Blaming everyone else for their business failures.

There are around 7 or 8 car parks within a few minutes of kirkgate market.

Castle Market had a large multi storey just around the corner from it with another large are of land being used as a car park up until around the late 2000s at the back. The closure of such as far as I can recall was nothing at all to do with the council and more to the do with the developer (who rightfully owned such land) building their office blocks on it.

As for the new Moor market they have it even better with a brand new shiny car park bang opposite their front door. What more do people want?

I always find it very cynical that people allegedly dont want to "trudge around with their bags" around town and complain about parking but then they seem to be more than happy plodding around from one end of a shopping mall to another and through vast car parking decks to get back to their cars. Meadowhall is around 35 acres in size as the crow files let alone the meyandering through their corridors and pathways but people complain about walking from a market hall a couple of hundred yards to a car park. Amazing.

This alleged 40% of retailers need to stop finger pointing and maybe look at WHY their business has had a downturn. What are the other seemingly unaffected 60% doing right. Car parking my backside.

Im sorry but this just sounds like more excuses and woe is me tales from the traders again. Blaming everyone else for their business failures.

Castle Market had a large multi storey just around the corner from it with another large are of land being used as a car park up until around the late 2000s at the back. The closure of such as far as I can recall was nothing at all to do with the council and more to the do with the developer (who rightfully owned such land) building their office blocks on it.

As for the new Moor market they have it even better with a brand new shiny car park bang opposite their front door. What more do people want?

I always find it very cynical that people allegedly dont want to "trudge around with their bags" around town and complain about parking but then they seem to be more than happy plodding around from one end of a shopping mall to another and through vast car parking decks to get back to their cars. Meadowhall is around 35 acres in size as the crow files let alone the meyandering through their corridors and pathways but people complain about walking from a market hall a couple of hundred yards to a car park. Amazing.

This alleged 40% of retailers need to stop finger pointing and maybe look at WHY their business has had a downturn. What are the other seemingly unaffected 60% doing right. Car parking my backside.

And so what are the 40% doing wrong ,in your opinion of course.

So best to just ignore it and let the place go under?

By the way if you bothered to read the report it seems that around 90% of the traders have reported an AVERAGE of 40% drop in overall trade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-27864753

Market traders in Leeds have claimed their takings have fallen by about 40% since April due to the closure of a nearby car park.

In a BBC survey, 143 of 160 stallholders at Kirkgate market said they had seen a significant drop since April.

The Union Street car park closed on 5 April to make way for the £150m Victoria Gate retail development.

Leeds City Council said it was working to deliver new parking for the market.

'Very bleak'

Rob Depledge, who runs a delicatessen, claimed in one week he had lost more than £2,000.

"Trade at the moment is absolute rock bottom," he said.

"It is very very bleak and if it continues I won't be able to continue after Christmas."

Obvious really isn't it. What were they all doing right in April that they weren't doing in May that caused a 40% drop off in trade across the entire market? Selling Vote for UKIP "T" shirts I presume.

It's not 40% of retailers. It's 100% of retailers losing 40% of their trade.

Archived