Aircraft contrails spoiling the weather again.

I dispute that still, If you can prove me wrong then fine, otherwise we'll just have to disagree on that one.

We are both relying on anecdotal evidence of what we have observed.

I'm convinced that the same planes have been flying for the past 30 years though, and that the physics that causes contrails has not changed.

I had an idea last night and spent some time searching images of the twin towers, my thinking being there should be a lot of them, we know they must be over 13 years old, and will likely have a lot of sky on them. If these contrails have been a norm for decades as you insist, I thought it most likely we'd see evidence of this in some of the pictures.

I invite you to take a look for yourself but I couldn't find any. There was one with a short streak of what might have been a contrail but can't be sure. When looking at pictures of the new building I found a few where you could see definite trails.

And you're well aware that they only form when the conditions are right. So looking in one location, on one specific date proves nothing at all.

I dispute that still, If you can prove me wrong then fine, otherwise we'll just have to disagree on that one.

I had an idea last night and spent some time searching images of the twin towers, my thinking being there should be a lot of them, we know they must be over 13 years old, and will likely have a lot of sky on them. If these contrails have been a norm for decades as you insist, I thought it most likely we'd see evidence of this in some of the pictures.

I invite you to take a look for yourself but I couldn't find any. There was one with a short streak of what might have been a contrail but can't be sure. When looking at pictures of the new building I found a few where you could see definite trails.

You could do a quick google and find lots of pictures and some movie clips that are pre-1995 such as here:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/pre-1995-persistent-contrail-archive.487/

Out of interest I joined one of many Facebook groups related to the 'chemtrails theory' though I'm not quite ready to accept some of the many theories that are out there about what's causing them, I'm certainly not alone in thinking these pesistant trails are quite a new thing. This has brought many to the conclusion that the sky's are being sprayed with chemicals to imitate the cooling effects cloud can have in an attempt to control global warming, something being pushed by some scientists as a possible solution to global warming known as Geoengineering(as mentioned in the OP)

Anyway, this morning someone posted on said Facebook page, some pictures from the sky over Milton Keynes this morning, the sky was thick with contrails. I'd already noted I'd seen no contrails this morning though by 9am it was pretty thick with natural cloud which looks like it's breaking up again now. Looks like we are in for a nice day :)

It got me thinking anyway, is the atmospheric conditions over Milton Keynes really so different they'd get such a build up of contrails and we get none? I guess they must.

Ive just had a glance around outside, still can't see any obvious trails, a plane happened to be flying over leaving a short trail but nothing persistent.

Bearing this in mind it should be easy enough (for the experts) to understand and predict where contrails are likely to form, and so adjust the route or altitude slightly to avoid the build up of contrails. At least now, though slow to react if its been happening since 1975, it does seem they are addressing the problem going by the BBC article I posted before.

As a little challenge to forum members, as I've said, I'm pretty damn sure these persistent contrails weren't a feature of the skies until quite recently, in fact its really rattled my belief system being told they've "always" been around. I'm in no rush but if anyone happens to be watching a movie or rerun of 'last of the summer wine', or something, from before let's say, the year 2000, ideally something with a link to watch online please post it on here.

I'm not so much thinking the odd single trail though please share anyway. I'm more interested in where they've bunched up to form cloud, or criss cross the sky, even an X would be good.

You see lots on TV etc made recently, if they've been around for decades then there should be thousands of examples from before 2000 shouldn't there?

Thanks.

Great post mate :)

Thanks Mrs Brady :)

---------- Post added 22-06-2014 at 11:20 ----------

And why would that be kept secret (and just as importantly, how).

Can you think of any reasons why they'd keep it a secret?

It got me thinking anyway, is the atmospheric conditions over Milton Keynes really so different they'd get such a build up of contrails and we get none? I guess they must.

Ive just had a glance around outside, still can't see any obvious trails, a plane happened to be flying over leaving a short trail but nothing persistent.

Bearing this in mind it should be easy enough (for the experts) to understand and predict where contrails are likely to form, and so adjust the route or altitude slightly to avoid the build up of contrails.

What you're talking about it weather forecasting. Do you think that it's easy for them to predict the weather to the minute for a precise location at present?

Similar phenomenon cause "air pockets" - something much more important for aircraft to avoid, yet we regularly still hear of aircraft encountering unexpected (and sometimes violent) turbulence, resulting in damage to the aircraft and it's passengers.

I would hope the weather experts are spending more effort on preventing these encounters than trying to avoid making contrails.

As said before, the persistent trails, are simply trails which are formed in an area ready to form cloud anyway. They might speed the cloud formation up a bit, but it's still going to end up cloudy in that part of the sky regardless of how many planes fly through.

(Also, add me to the list of people who remembers seeing long lasting contrails in the 80s)

You see lots on TV etc made recently, if they've been around for decades then there should be thousands of examples from before 2000 shouldn't there?

Thanks.

Can remember seeing vapour trails since the '60's. Obviously they're more prevalent now due to vastly increased air traffic.

Another reason you see more post 2000 is the vast increase in internet usage with thousands of pictures / vids posted showing "chemtrails".