DirectGov - waste of tax payers money?

I was just reading this article on the BBC's web site about the make-over of the DirectGov web site. Basically "Over the next few months, the Directgov website will replace the UK Online site as the starting point for citizens seeking information about government services. Directgov hides the bewildering number of official websites behind themed sections that bring together information in one place.".

No doubt the government spends an absolute fortune on hiring skilled (*cough*) consultants and web 'designers' to work on these sites, but is it money well spent? Personally the only 'government' type site I visit is Sheffield Council and even then it's not very often.

Maybe I'm an exception and the rest of you use DirectGov all the time? For those of you who don't then check it out at: http://ukonline.direct.gov.uk/Homepage/fs/en

What do you think - could the millions (educated guess) of pounds they spend on these 'e-offerings' be better spent?

Archived