Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/17/alan-bennett-attack-private-education-lecture-wrong

Alan Bennett claims a private education is unfair. But let's face it, if you had the funds, wouldn't you give your child the best start in life with a private education?

Eton is worth it for the contacts alone, which is another privilege you are paying for.

If the poor and middle classes put the same levels of energy into becoming successful as they do whining and bleating they could send their own kids to Eton.

ANYONE can BECOME highly successful if they desire, wealth isn't something you can only be born into. :rolleyes:

Alan Bennett embodies the British values that Gove whittles on about but doesn't seem very keen on putting into practice.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 18:26 ----------

If the poor and middle classes put the same levels of energy into becoming successful as they do whining and bleating they could send their own kids to Eton.

ANYONE can BECOME highly successful if they desire, wealth isn't something you can only be born into. :rolleyes:

If effort were the sole determining factor in someone's wealth and income then a great deal many more poor people would be richer, and many rich people would be flat on their backs.

Guest sibon

There is nothing wrong with private education.

Private schools should not get charitable status though.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 18:27 ----------

But it helps.

But it helps.

Which is the mentality of the masses.

I wasn't born into wealth like all these lucky so and so's so therefore I'm not going to try to make my own fortune, I'm simply going to shout and whinge until the world is fair and the wealth is distributed out to everyone. You know, because that way I don't have to try, to risk anything or to step out of my comfort zone.

Guest sibon

I wasn't born into wealth like all these lucky so and so's so therefore I'm not going to try to make my own fortune, I'm simply going to shout and whinge until the world is fair and the wealth is distributed out to everyone. You know, because that way I don't have to try, to risk anything or to step out of my comfort zone.

I made a straightforward, factual statement.

Your extrapolation says an awful lot about you. Not all of it very edifying.

Your prejudice is showing.:wink:

Your extrapolation says an awful lot about you. Not all of it very edifying.

I simply read and hear more and more whining and excuses in today's society. It's all very undignified.

Your prejudice is showing.:wink:

Oh really.

There is nothing wrong with private education.

Private schools should not get charitable status though.

Independent schools are fantastic (signed, an independent school parent).

In terms of their charity status it's due to the amount of charitable activities performed in the year, including a vast amount to assist state schools.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

How have you made your fortune then Coutts?

Alan Bennett embodies the British values that Gove whittles on about but doesn't seem very keen on putting into practice.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 18:26 ----------

If effort were the sole determining factor in someone's wealth and income then a great deal many more poor people would be richer, and many rich people would be flat on their backs.

To be fair, a fair few of them have got rich that way too. ;)

Archived