Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

Putting aside the fact your sentence doesn't make sense, by whom?

My sentence, although complex, makes perfect sense to anyone who can understand Standard English. Do you struggle with subordinate clauses, or what?

As to 'by whom?', the clue is in the adverb 'generally', Think about it.

Don't bother. I'm very choosy about the people I agree to decorate for.

Coolio. Aside from being pretty well versed, and fully involved, in the education system, past and present, I'm fairly adept at painting my own wood.

Still not willing to re-read my post you misunderstood?

Send a thick kid to Eton and he wont do as well as a clever kid at Tapton....Its not how rich your parents are, its how clever they are that has a fair bit of influence on how you turn out.....But the two things do seem to be compatible often.

I think there is some truth in that.

But the word 'clever' is being bandied around a lot without any real consensus as to what it means. Does it simply mean academically successful, or something else?

My sentence, although complex, makes perfect sense to anyone who can understand Standard English. Do you struggle with subordinate clauses, or what?

As to 'by whom?', the clue is in the adverb 'generally', Think about it.

Soz Mort.

Alice: looks like you got off lightly there; I'd have been delighted to engage in a discussion of meta-language and continue to encourage you to read my response to Mecky properly but Mort's decree has got you off the hook there so, what's your definition of clever?

Oh, and you are aware that unqualified use of the term "generally" is an abuse of argument, aren't you?

I think its a bit of both....not totally accedemic but sufficiently so as to be able use the intelligence you are given

Surely it is the other way round? Even so, it still depends on the kind of intelligence we're talking about.

Send a thick kid to Eton and he wont do as well as a clever kid at Tapton....Its not how rich your parents are, its how clever they are that has a fair bit of influence on how you turn out.....But the two things do seem to be compatible often.

Sorry, I missed this due to Alice's attempts to deal with her inferiority complex.

So; are you sure?

What is your definition of "do well"?

What other factors may affect the "success" of either student?

I have seen some very, and I mean much more intelligent than myself, "clever" young people leave school with next to nothing because of the influencing factors with which they've been surrounded and I've seen quite a few "thick" kids leave school with a decent set of GCSEs because of the pressure from above upon their "teachers" to produce a set of statistics in line with "targets".

Archived