Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

Putting aside the fact your sentence doesn't make sense, by whom?

Taking into consideration that her sentence made perfect sense, by anyone who has a degree of commonsense, which of course, on previous experience excludes your good self. :)

Sorry, I missed this due to Alice's attempts to deal with her inferiority complex.

So; are you sure?

What is your definition of "do well"?

What other factors may affect the "success" of either student?

I have seen some very, and I mean much more intelligent than myself, "clever" young people leave school with next to nothing because of the influencing factors with which they've been surrounded and I've seen quite a few "thick" kids leave school with a decent set of GCSEs because of the pressure from above upon their "teachers" to produce a set of statistics in line with "targets".

I dont have a definition of do well

thats for the individual concerned to reach that state where they are happy with what they have done.

Im not in any way "rich" but Im pretty happy ;)

Taking into consideration that her sentence made perfect sense, by anyone who has a degree of commonsense, which of course, on previous experience excludes your good self. :)

Hi mj.

Though the sentence is grammatically correct and complete (unlike yours but let's not argue ;-)), it lacks sense in its postulation but I have chosen to adhere to Mort's decree that the bickering stops plus, having read your contributions to recent threads on various subjects, I have updated my opinion regarding your own intellect and have, therefore, decided to put aside the pointless argument on the atheist/agnostic threads.

Perhaps you are big enough to do the same.

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 23:32 ----------

I dont have a definition of do well

Fair enough but can you see that that renders your suggestion that

Send a thick kid to Eton and he wont do as well as a clever kid at Tapton....Its not how rich your parents are, its how clever they are that has a fair bit of influence on how you turn out.....But the two things do seem to be compatible often.

nonsensical?

Referring to my previous post re. kids in different educational environments, some of the kids who suffered from the aforementioned factors which reduced their GCSE prospects may well have gone on to "do well" in their lives but it was not in any way as a consequence of their "education".

Hi mj.

Though the sentence is grammatically correct, it lacks sense in its postulation but I have chosen to adhere to Mort's decree that the bickering stops plus, having read your contributions to recent threads on various subjects, I have updated my opinion regarding your own intellect and have, therefore decided to put aside the pointless argument on the atheist/agnostic threads.

Perhaps you are big enough to do the same.

Bugger, I enjoyed hours of fun continuing a debate that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but provided me with amusement.

OK my Lancastrian friend we'll call it a marginal moral victory to Yorkshire and end it there. :)

Hope you are keeping well. :)

I would have thought that my reference to "do well" as regard being at a school would be obvious....Ie getting the exam passes from that school....

What one does after school days is where I cant say what one regards as success

Bugger, I enjoyed hours of fun continuing a debate that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but provided me with amusement.

OK my Lancastrian friend we'll call it a marginal moral victory to Yorkshire and end it there. :)

Hope you are keeping well. :)

Great thanks - kids and band taking up most of my time - and enjoying your contributions on the Hillsborough and UKIP threads, amongst others.

Same to you, of course, regarding keeping well, though you'll need to win a lot more minor victories over verbose, pedantic former-Merseyside/Bolton dwellers to make up for the 1485 biggie...

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 23:44 ----------

I would have thought that my reference to "do well" as regard being at a school would be obvious....Ie getting the exam passes from that school....

Fair enough so, therefore. your claim that

Send a thick kid to Eton and he wont do as well as a clever kid at Tapton....Its not how rich your parents are, its how clever they are that has a fair bit of influence on how you turn out.....But the two things do seem to be compatible often.

is incorrect.

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 23:51 ----------

Interestingly, I notice that, since my post 59 which, unexpectedly, provoked a spate of bickering due to people not reading it and subsequent posts properly, the person whose claim it debunked, Tommo, has been conspicuously silent. Perhaps his whining about a bike race is occupying his braincell.

if you insist it is incorrect than, to you, it is :)

one of the joys of human nature is that we ca nall be wrong but think we are right

True enough, but there's little point engaging in a discussion if that is one's stance. I have shown your postulation to be wrong. No biggie if you wish to do the denial thang.

Archived