Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

i made a straightforward, factual statement.

Your extrapolation says an awful lot about your most recent provocative forum persona. Not all of it very edifying.

Your prejudice is showing.:wink:

Fixed that for you.

Guest sibon

Oh really.

I'd say that your condemnation of all poor people based solely upon your own "experiences" fits pretty well with any definition of prejudice.

What do you think?

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 19:38 ----------

Fixed that for you.

Thanks. It's like seeing double on here at times.:D

I'd say that your condemnation of all poor people based solely upon your own "experiences" fits pretty well with any definition of prejudice.

What do you think?

I've read what you said, but I don't think much about it. Just being honest.

Thanks. It's like seeing double on here at times.:D

If I had 50 different personas and lived penniless on a council estate it wouldn't make my comment any less true.

The problem that I see with private education is that it allows a relatively small section of society to buy an advantage for their children.

That same relatively small section happen to be the very same people who are in charge of state education for the majority.

It is therefore actually against their own personal interest to improve state education and bring it on a level with private education.

We have seen recently how the political class react when it comes to their own self interest.

Even the few amongst them that purport to support state education make sure that they live in the catchment area of the best state schools and are still buying an advantage.

I don't blame anyone for paying for private education. We all wish the best for our children and I have several relatives who have been privately educated and three who are still attending private schools.

The question is should it be allowed for the wealthy to gain such an advantage?

This does not comply with meritocracy and the survival of the fittest which would be of most benefit to society.

As for the statement that anyone can get rich with enough effort, whilst I agree to a point there is no doubt that connections and inheritance can be a huge advantage and can prove far more crucial than talent and effort.

It is no coincidence that in the recent Sunday Times rich list only one Englishman featured in Britain's top ten richest people.

He was number ten and was the Duke of Westminister. His particular talent? He managed to get born.

No problem with that to a degree, but it's innovative thinkers and job creators we need, not people living off their ancestors acquisitions whether or not they were fairly acquired.

Guest sibon

In terms of their charity status it's due to the amount of charitable activities performed in the year, including a vast amount to assist state schools.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Even if that were true, which it isn't, it isn't justification for charitable status.

Sainsbury's do loads to assist state schools, but they aren't charities. Fee paying schools are businesses and should pay tax like any others.

As for the statement that anyone can get rich with enough effort, whilst I agree to a point there is no doubt that connections and inheritance can be a huge advantage and can prove far more crucial than talent and effort.

ANYONE can acquire the VERY BEST connections if they put in the effort but if they have talent, they will be sort out by the best connections, they won't even have to go looking.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 19:59 ----------

If that were true, then there would be no reason to send your kids to Eton.

Always a bonus to get a wonderful education in beautiful surroundings don't you think.

Private schools can afford the best teachers and provide the best salaries. You get what you pay for.

I'd say it was more about class sizes and not having a load of demotivated, disruptive scroats to deal with.

Some of the best teachers teach in some of the roughest schools. It's a common myth that private schools have the 'best teachers.' Put them in your average comprehensive and they'd probably sink without trace.

I can't really argue with anyone that wants to buy the best they can afford whatever it is. If it just so happens to be their children's education ...its their money and the option exists.

Basically it comes down to personal choices and priorities and money, which you either have or you don't.

If your children are really bright and you you think they would benefit from receiving an education you can't afford there are a lot of fee paying schools that offer the opportunity to apply for scholarships; which may partly or even fully cover the fees. Investigate the options and apply as early as you can and as early as they will let you.

The people that make most noise about there being fee paying schools are usually people that believe life ought to be fair. Wake up! It is not and never will be. So I can see nothing wrong in trying to give your children an edge or a leg up. Complaining that someone else has, or is getting, something you can't get sounds a little too much like jealousy to me.

Generally if you want the best of anything you have to either pay for it or persuade someone else to pay for it for you, and that as they say is all there is to it.

I'd also point out that the children that are generally gain most from their education and go on to to do well in HE and life generally are the ones where parental expectation is high, and the children feel supported; regardless of public or private sector or income.

I'd say it was more about class sizes and not having a load of demotivated, disruptive scroats to deal with.

Some of the best teachers teach in some of the roughest schools. It's a common myth that private schools have the 'best teachers.' Put them in your average comprehensive and they'd probably sink without trace.

Agree. I was working in a private school and the kids were wanting to learn, which has probably come from their (well heeled) parents. At my local comp (a decent one at that) I and many of my friends just wanted to kick a ball about. We were far from the worst behaved though.

Having said all that Warwick university did a study showing kids who went to a public school were less likely to get a first class honours degree than state school educated kids.

Archived