Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

What about the parents who can afford to buy property within the catchment areas of the best performing schools to ensure their kids get the best education, should that be outlawed too?

Just bring back grammar schools, then all the brightest kids go to the best schools regardless of where their parents live.

Just bring back grammar schools, then all the brightest kids go to the best schools regardless of where their parents live.

I'm not sure if I would have been bright enough to get into one, but if it stops really quite thick people wasting their time and (parents) money getting into university thinking it's the only show in town - that's a good thing. We need to best and brightest going to university. For free. The rest of them (the likes of me to be brutally honest) need a decent range of vocational education to a very high standard and not lead to believe your going to die in poverty if you don't go to uni. It was heading that way 20 years ago, I dread to think what it's like now.

But that's my point, you don't get disruptive scroats in private schools because of the threat of them being expelled from their exclusive education, which their parents paid dearly for.

They have manners as well, they respect teachers and want to be educated.

Well, it's not quite that simple.

The minor public school in our neighbourhood has some of the rudest, most arrogant pupils I've ever seen. They caused such a problem in the local shops that they have been banned from going off site during the school day.

I have the idea that the big problem with state schools is that the English system puts kids of all abilities together in one class. It is all very egalitarian, but in the end it means that the achieving kids are having to do a lot of things at the pace of their slower class-mates, as well as following the same curriculum.

I'm afraid you are rather out of date with all this.

The majority of British secondary schools set or stream their pupils so that kids of the same ability are taught together and take examinations appropriate to their ability in each subject. Gone are the days of mixed ability teaching in subjects which are perceived as important. They may be in mixed ability groups for PE or PSHE but not much else.

I'm not sure if I would have been bright enough to get into one, but if it stops really quite thick people wasting their time and (parents) money getting into university thinking it's the only show in town - that's a good thing. We need to best and brightest going to university. For free. The rest of them (the likes of me to be brutally honest) need a decent range of vocational education to a very high standard and not lead to believe your going to die in poverty if you don't go to uni. It was heading that way 20 years ago, I dread to think what it's like now.

I went to a public school because I passed the Eleven Plus exam, the same exam that was used to choose those who were allowed into grammar schools.

My school fees were paid by the LEA under the now defunct Direct Grant system.

I went to a public school because I passed the Eleven Plus exam, the same exam that was used to choose those who were allowed into grammar schools.

My school fees were paid by the LEA under the now defunct Direct Grant system.

Perfect system for sorting those with outstanding potential at an early age and with no doubt, parents who take an interest in them by encouraging them to pass.

Guest sibon
In which case can I suggest you call one of them and create some links? They will be happy to hear from you.

The last time I participated in a link like that, it was the other way round. They called me.

It isn't charity though, just collaborative working. That is what academic institutions do.

I've also explained that I'm not wealthy. Not at all. Im just used to paying the same amount since my daughter was 6 months.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

If you have the best part of a thousand quid a month spare for school fees, you are relatively well off:)

And well done for that.

Well, it's not quite that simple.

The minor public school in our neighbourhood has some of the rudest, most arrogant pupils I've ever seen. They caused such a problem in the local shops that they have been banned from going off site during the school day.

There's always the exception and it was probably just a minority.

Guest sibon
There's always the exception and it was probably just a minority.

In my experience, the parents of the private school kids are the rude ones. The kids seem ok.

If you have the best part of a thousand quid a month spare for school fees, you are relatively well off

And well done for that.

Me and hundreds of thousands of others who find nursery fees of that level every month then. I've no idea of the numbers but there are so many people who manage to find greater fees for nursery every month. It's subjective. I don't consider them well off. I just think they're doing what they need to do to support their children as they feel best.

Relative to people on 10k a year I suppose that would be well off. Relative to someone on 100k plus, not in the slightest.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived