Alan Benett, 'A private Education is unfair'

If you believe someone is thick (and I am not agreeing with you, btw) then it is hardly intelligent of you to ask them to stop being thick. How are they supposed to do that, then?

Please stop insulting people.

Hi Alice.

Loving the irony of you pulling me up for insulting people but, that aside, if you read my post for meaning, of which I am sure you are capable, you will notice that I didn't ask him to stop being thick ( that would be uninformed of me (not unintelligent as you suggested, by the way)) but to stop making posts which, due to the thickness of their progenitor, weakened the argument of people who share the opinion of said poster.

Hope that helps.

No, not really. It's just verbal flatulence.

Shame. I expected you to re-read the post and realise your error. I must stop thinking the best of people...

No worries, I'll give you a shout when I need a skirting board painting.

If being in a private education is unfair then a natural extrapolation is that being in state education, but "clever" is also unfair?

It is generally accepted that a meritocracy is fairer than a system in which those in power are there because their parents were rich and sent them to Eton.

Shame. I expected you to re-read the post and realise your error. I must stop thinking the best of people...

No worries, I'll give you a shout when I need a skirting board painting.

Don't bother. I'm very choosy about the people I agree to decorate for.

It is generally accepted that a meritocracy is fairer than a system in which those in power are there because their parents were rich and sent them to Eton.

Putting aside the fact your sentence doesn't make sense, by whom?

Hiya Se7enhills, can you explain that extrapolation?

Send a thick kid to Eton and he wont do as well as a clever kid at Tapton....Its not how rich your parents are, its how clever they are that has a fair bit of influence on how you turn out.....But the two things do seem to be compatible often.

Archived