Café Servant – Where do we go from here?

I’ve been going to a café on my lunch breaks from work at around midday most days (Monday-Friday). I’ve been working there (in an office nearby) for about a year and it’s going well. Anyway, at first when I started going to the café the café servants didn’t know who I was. I was basically a newcomer of their café so still a bit of an alien concept to them all I guess. Anyway, I kept going there to buy lunch (e.g. jacket potato with cold-slaw, or keesh lorraine for examples). After maybe a few months she started even saying “hi” and “hello” to me when I came to the counter. It was like recognition at last! The café servant knew my face and greeted me like I was now in the inner circle thing of regulars. I felt welcome after all these months and I looked forward to going to my café now where all the servants knew me sort of (didn’t know my name obviously! At least I hope not LOL!!!).

Thing is, one of the servants has now tried to take our relationship to the next level. She said about the weekend today and this is what she said – “Anything nice for the weekend?”. At first I was shocked! I thought does she mean do I want to order any of her food for the weekend? So I said “I’ve got some food at home thanks”. But then she did clarify and said “Are you doing anything nice?”.

OK, so what I want to know is this – what is going to happen? I’ve moved from being an absolute nobody to being a welcome face to being her friend now. Where do we go from here? Will I be expected to do certain things now for example find out her birthday and buy here present? It’s nice of course but the lines are so so blurred now. Where do I stand?

I’ve been going to a café on my lunch breaks from work at around midday most days (Monday-Friday). I’ve been working there (in an office nearby) for about a year and it’s going well. Anyway, at first when I started going to the café the café servants didn’t know who I was. I was basically a newcomer of their café so still a bit of an alien concept to them all I guess. Anyway, I kept going there to buy lunch (e.g. jacket potato with cold-slaw, or keesh lorraine for examples). After maybe a few months she started even saying “hi” and “hello” to me when I came to the counter. It was like recognition at last! The café servant knew my face and greeted me like I was now in the inner circle thing of regulars. I felt welcome after all these months and I looked forward to going to my café now where all the servants knew me sort of (didn’t know my name obviously! At least I hope not LOL!!!).

Thing is, one of the servants has now tried to take our relationship to the next level. She said about the weekend today and this is what she said – “Anything nice for the weekend?”. At first I was shocked! I thought does she mean do I want to order any of her food for the weekend? So I said “I’ve got some food at home thanks”. But then she did clarify and said “Are you doing anything nice?”.

OK, so what I want to know is this – what is going to happen? I’ve moved from being an absolute nobody to being a welcome face to being her friend now. Where do we go from here? Will I be expected to do certain things now for example find out her birthday and buy here present? It’s nice of course but the lines are so so blurred now. Where do I stand?

oh dear--the situation has changed from you being unknown to a member of staff or waitress [NOT a café servant!!] has felt confident enough to initiate a conversation and all you want to do is throw it back in her face. the best answer has already been made---or find another café where the staff are rude to you, but then you will be back on here moaning about that.

This reminds me of the social inadequate boy at school who, everytime a girl so much as smiled at him, thought girls were coming on to him.

To the OP, don't worry... it's called being friendly and polite. Just cos she asked you a question, it doesn't necessarily mean she wants to give you more than just a sandwich. Where do you go from here? Erm, try going back to the cafe and conversing with her, or if the idea offends you, try isolating yourself from any form of human contact :)

Edited by Agent Orange

Oh dear,

If I was you when you get home, look in the mirror, the staff in the cafe are NOT you're servants, what next? do they tug their forelock when you come in?