What to do with a Sparrow chick

Just putting the washing out, and found what I think is a sparrow chick (or certainly very young, in the long grass, seemingly stuck.

I can't leave it!

I've put it in a shoebox for now (until after the England game)

Any idea what to do with it? If I leave it out, a cat will get it!

Ring the RSPB for advice, but I fear it is unlikely to survive whatever you do with it. If it has fallen out of its nest before it can fly, it is probably injured.

Your local vet will put it down humanely for free. Probably kinder than letting it starve to death - unless you are able to feed it with the right things every half an hour or so, as its parents would?

Ring the RSPB for advice, but I fear it is unlikely to survive whatever you do with it. If it has fallen out of its nest before it can fly, it is probably injured.

Your local vet will put it down humanely for free. Probably kinder than letting it starve to death - unless you are able to feed it with the right things every half an hour or so, as its parents would?

^^^What she says.

An awful lot of birds die just from the stress of being handled or put in a box, and those that don't die from the stress often succumb to the injuries or illness that caused them to be in the position where you could handle them.

The RSPCA won't take it, and the local wild bird hospital closed a couple of years ago and I don't know of anybody else prepared to take on this sort of work unfortunately.

I think it is slightly injured.

I don't think it was waiting for m+d medusa.

I'll put it near the feeder and see if one finds it. I can see it from where I'm sitting, if ca t comes

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 20:37 ----------

Sorted, it's mum has found, it is fluttering about now on the path, and mum is nearby. Hopefully it'll get off the ground. Looks like a failed first fligt

Now back to footy, but 5 mins behind !

It's in the front now, fluttering away, can't quite get off the ground! Bless it.

Archived