The Return of Netto

Anyone else feel that Netto turned their nose up at the UK market and shut up shop?

Now, after a few years away, they've seen the success of discount retailers like Aldi overtaking the big boys like Tesco and they come crawling back hoping to jump onto the coat tails of the hard work done by Aldi & Lidl.

Hope they fail.

Anyone else feel that Netto turned their nose up at the UK market and shut up shop?

Now, after a few years away, they've seen the success of discount retailers like Aldi overtaking the big boys like Tesco and they come crawling back hoping to jump onto the coat tails of the hard work done by Aldi & Lidl.

Hope they fail.

I think they had a stroke of genius selling out to Asda when they did. Got them out of a lot of expensive rent agreements. Got plenty of cash for there Danish parent company. Now with the amount of empty shop units the must have got a good deal on the rents. I might be wrong correct me if you have another theory lol

I think they had a stroke of genius selling out to Asda when they did. Got them out of a lot of expensive rent agreements. Got plenty of cash for there Danish parent company. Now with the amount of empty shop units the must have got a good deal on the rents. I might be wrong correct me if you have another theory lol

In a very unusual move with Aldi and Lidl trying to appear more upmarket and appeal to "posher" people maybe there is a gap again in the market for a cheap store like Netto.

I think much of it is PR though, my local Lidl is still in a very rough area frequented by scruffs in their PJs.