Mental health services drastic cuts

At a time when mental health issues are rising, Birmingham has had its Mental health services for young people reduced from £2 million to £180,000 due to government cuts.

Basically that's not enough to feed a fly, let alone run a Mental Health service in any meaningful way. Yet early intervention and help is proven to be most effective and cost efficient, taking pressure off the NHS.

Unstable young people in the community are an accident waiting to happen. and affects us all as well as being a nightmare for those suffering the problems.

And anyway, what happened to care in the community?

It never happened at all to start with. The gradual closure of large psychiatric hospitals was supposed to preceded by the provision of smaller units and other facilities and services in the 'community. Some of these were set up but nowhere near enough to cover the numbers served by the hospitals never mind the increased population.

It never happened at all to start with. The gradual closure of large psychiatric hospitals was supposed to preceded by the provision of smaller units and other facilities and services in the 'community. Some of these were set up but nowhere near enough to cover the numbers served by the hospitals never mind the increased population.

So just yet another cost cutting exercise.

I don't know why mental illness is not taken seriously. That is until some poor schizophrenic ex patient kills somebody.

At a time when mental health issues are rising, Birmingham has had its Mental health services for young people reduced from £2 million to £180,000 due to government cuts.

Basically that's not enough to feed a fly, let alone run a Mental Health service in any meaningful way. Yet early intervention and help is proven to be most effective and cost efficient, taking pressure off the NHS.

Unstable young people in the community are an accident waiting to happen. and affects us all as well as being a nightmare for those suffering the problems.

A spokesman for the authority said that after a public consultation, it was decided to stop paying for a service that was primarily an "NHS responsibility".

The council preferred to "prioritise those services for which it was responsible" at a time when significant savings were required.

It looks like they have been spending beyond their means for years.

Birmingham City Council’s annual accounts are here. Read them and weep. The debt is £3.25 billion. That’s right. Billion. The spending on interest on the debt costs the council taxpayers of Birmingham £165 million a year.

In the coming financial year the council says it will get £255 million in Council Tax. So two thirds of that goes on debt interest.

It's shocking!

When you think about how important mental health research actually is. Mental health is directly connected to so many of today's problems, such as obesity & drug addiction. If anything the government should be putting more money into it's research.....a lot more!

A spokesman for the authority said that after a public consultation, it was decided to stop paying for a service that was primarily an "NHS responsibility".

I agree with that.

People can get all measure of plastic surgery if it affects their mental health; at least that is the impressiion I get from the media. Yet real problem areas of mental health are starved of resources.

In my opinion until it affects you or family/friends.not many tend to care about the issue of mental health, and pretend it doesn't exist, which is really sad, my dad/nan/aunt all had nervous breakdowns and were never the same afterwards.

this is why more money/time/research is needed,not more cutbacks.

x

I don't know why mental illness is not taken seriously. That is until some poor schizophrenic ex patient kills somebody.

They have many times, themselves as well

[/b]

They have many times, themselves as well

Schizophrenics are a far greater risk to themselves than to others.

Schizophrenics are a far greater risk to themselves than to others.

We have nothing to worry about then/ could you explain a little more your post is coming across to me as they dont usually harm other people only themselves?