Would you pay to park at your local pub?

A simple question.

You drive out to your local pub with a car load of your mates for a swift pint and a lunchtime butty, only to find they are charging £1 per hour for you to park in their car park. Would you say fair enough and pay it, or would you say stuff them and go to the next pub up the road where you can park for free?

What if your supermarket charged you to park when you went shopping?

If its that local, why not walk? No need to worry about drink driving that way :)

I can see parking charges putting customers off. Perhaps they could offer the charge to be discounted off the customer's bill, hypothetically?

Well unless all your mates live with you your local probably isn't your mates local. So assume someone is driving.

---------- Post added 20-06-2014 at 21:29 ----------

If it costs more than £1 to drive to the next pub it makes economic sense to stay where you are.

So you would pay. Would you go again?

If it costs more than £1 to drive to the next pub it makes economic sense to stay where you are.

Well unless all your mates live with you your local probably isn't your mates local. So assume someone is driving.

---------- Post added 20-06-2014 at 21:29 ----------

So you would pay. Would you go again?

Thats assuming you are only going to be there 1 hour

What if your supermarket charged you to park when you went shopping?

You'd just drive to one that didn't?

Since it's not normal practice around here most people wouldn't put up with being charged for something thats free everywhere else close to them.

If I found out that a pub I wanted to visit charged for parking I'd get everybody apart from the driver into the pub (leaving the driver and car somewhere safe and where they wouldn't be charged for parking) and then they would walk up to the bar, order 4/5/however many pints, and even before they could be pulled, say 'actually no, let's go somewhere which doesn't fleece us for parking as well as charging for drinks' and walk out again.

The landlord would soon get the message that people didn't like paying for parking if everybody who would otherwise be ordering drinks/food went in just to tell them that they had lost out on business today.

As it happens, I'd probably be able to park for nothing anyway (due to me being a blue badge holder) but it's the principle of it. Charging people to come to spend money in your establishment just doesn't seem like you're really that interested in a long lasting relationship with your clientele to me.

EDIT- and if this is a pubco rule then that pubco would get the message if every venue where they set it up suddenly began losing money hand over fist, wouldn't they? It's not in anybody's interests to deter paying customers.

Archived