People should be fined for not using their indicators

The sign on this r'bout signifies "mini r'bout" and, as such, the thinking is that there is no real need to signal left to leave it - after all, since it is a mini it is clear that no-one will have the time to benefit from a "leaving" signal, it has already happened.

A signal may also get in the way of the steering you need to carry out to get around it.

I agree that if you think indicating will affect your ability to steer, then steering should take priority, but if you can indicate and still steer then a signal can still be of benefit to other road users. On that roundabout there would be very little steering when taking the road ahead so indicating shouldn't a cause a problem.

Looking at the picture, assume the van isn't there, but the car opposite is, if I indicate as the front of my car gets to the center of the road on the left, the driver opposite will get plenty of notice that I intend to exist so will avoid stopping.

The sign on this r'bout signifies "mini r'bout" and, as such, the thinking is that there is no real need to signal left to leave it - after all, since it is a mini it is clear that no-one will have the time to benefit from a "leaving" signal, it has already happened.

A signal may also get in the way of the steering you need to carry out to get around it.

However on approach you should be indicating left to let people know you're turning left.

I agree that if you think indicating will affect your ability to steer, then steering should take priority, but if you can indicate and still steer then a signal can still be of benefit to other road users. On that roundabout there would be very little steering when taking the road ahead so indicating shouldn't a cause a problem.

Looking at the picture, assume the van isn't there, but the car opposite is, if I indicate as the front of my car gets to the center of the road on the left, the driver opposite will get plenty of notice that I intend to exist so will avoid stopping.

Since you aren't indicating right to go all the way around, he will already know he can go and won't have stopped.

However on approach you should be indicating left to let people know you're turning left.

Yep. ...........

---------- Post added 25-06-2014 at 13:00 ----------

Since you aren't indicating right to go all the way around, he will already know he can go and won't have stopped.

What I learnt only comparatively recently is that the HC suggests we shouldn't double back on ourselves at mini's probably because it is so easy for your intentions to be misunderstood (and not all vehicles have the requisite turning circle).

I still do but add an arm out of the window as a reinforcement of the right indicator.

It appears to work!

A vast number of drivers don't indicate at all, so the lack of a right signal doesn't mean the driver isn't going to go all the way round the roundabout, so applying the left signal to exit reinforces the idea that you do intend to exist and not go all the way round.

and it's not just the indicators... usually, those who don't bother indicating have a bizarre 'I must be immortal' attitude and do not use the rear mirrors either... they rely on other's people avoidance skills to ensure everyone stays alive...

why do they never get fined?

Indicators are just that, to give notice or intention to change direction or speed.

They should not be used as a definitive observation for several reasons.

1. Someone may have left their indicator on.

2. You may misread the intended turn at close junctions like mini roundabouts

3. The indicator lamp may have broken pending replacement.

The best indicator of a vehicles intention is their road position and speed and always be on the cautious side. No point in putting yourself in a dangerous position even if you are in the right. Waiting 10 seconds for a car to pass or turn is no big deal.

Intermittent indicator failure has been a massive problem with motor vehicles pretty much since the advent of them in the first place, including trafficators which were introduced in the very early 1900's.

Car manufactures have spent billions upon billions trying to sort this fault, but so far haven't made any break through as to the root cause of the problem.

Unfortunately any and every motor vehicle will suffer with this fault at some point in its life so all we can do is hope they do sort it sooner or later.

;)

Archived