People should be fined for not using their indicators

Drivers by definition are lazy, it's why they're driving and not walking or cycling. So to say that drivers don't indicate because they're lazy is a moot point. No, drivers don't indicate because if I'm turning left, you should be far enough away from me for my actions not to affect you anyway. If me not indicating causes you danger, then you're tailgating.

Good driving practise and rule of thumb is that the driver behind should be at least 2 car lengths behind you.

The point you have raised: ' If I'm turning left, you should be far enough away from me for my actions not to affect you anyway ........ on taking driving lessons the first thing you are taught is: Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. On taking your test if the examiner saw you not to be using your indicators effectively you would fail your test !!

No it isn't. Have you read the highway code?

An advanced driving course will tell you you don't need to use them if there's no-one around I believe, but seriously how much effort is required to turn them on?

That applies to moving off and stopping, for the rest of the time you should indicate unless doing so will cause confusion.

My brother in law is an advanced driver.

He was a passenger (I was driving) and he said I was wrong to indicate right at the end of the slip road to join the motorway!

His reasoning being "It's obvious where you are going, where else can you go?"

Was he correct?

I think not!

Clear indication of any manoeuvre is necessary.

He was a passenger (I was driving) and he said I was wrong to indicate right at the end of the slip road to join the motorway!

Was he correct?

I think not!

Although I can accept it's not strictly necessary to signal when on a motorway slip road, I do not agree that it is actually WRONG to signal. It doesn't do any harm.

Was he correct?

I think not!

I was advised similarly, i was also advised that there is no need to indicate after overtaking as you pull back in as that is part of the manouvre.

Was he correct?

I think not!

I agree, he is wrong, the signal could benefit other drivers and is very unlikely to confuse anyone, and whilst its obvious to most people it may not be obvious to everyone, one example is that it may not be be obvious to foreign drivers.

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 09:43 ----------

I was advised similarly, i was also advised that there is no need to indicate after overtaking as you pull back in as that is part of the manouvre.

If only advanced drivers were allowed to drive on the roads then they may have a point.

It sounds like the person giving such advice is not not allowing for the fact that their are plenty of drivers that wouldn't think it is part of the maneuver or obvious that you are going to move left. Its also possible for the most observant driver in the world to not notice a car coming up on their left to undertake, so always indicating to move left will warn anyone that you maybe haven't noticed.

Example.

I overtake a long line of lorries and at the same time a nutter is using the hard shoulder to undertake this same long line of lorries, I pass them slightly in front of the nutter and start to move left without indicating, will the nutter expect it or will he incorrectly assume that because I'm not indicating I must be staying in the center lane which means its safe for him to move right.

This is true, you don't have to signal to come back into lane. The reason is because you're only supposed to use the other 2 lanes for overtaking manoeuvres. However, we all know that's not the way most drivers use the motorways. People tend to pick a lane and stay in it.

Indicating to change lanes can't be harming anyone.

I agree, he is wrong, the signal could benefit other drivers and is very unlikely to confuse anyone, and whilst its obvious to most people it may not be obvious to everyone, one example is that it may not be be obvious to foreign drivers.

If only advanced drivers were allowed to drive on the roads then they may have a point.

It sounds like the person giving such advice is not not allowing for the fact that their are plenty of drivers that wouldn't think it is part of the maneuver or obvious that you are going to move left. Its also possible for the most observant driver in the world to not notice a car coming up on their left to undertake, so always indicating to move left will warn anyone that you maybe haven't noticed.

Example.

I overtake a long line of lorries and at the same time a nutter is using the hard shoulder to undertake this same long line of lorries, I pass them slightly in front of the nutter and start to move left without indicating, will the nutter expect it or will he incorrectly assume that because I'm not indicating I must be staying in the center lane which means its safe for him to move right.

You need to determine "undertake", passing a vehicle on the inside and then pulling in front of it is an illegal manouvre.So that person would be responsible for any impending crash.

I didn't say it would harm anyone to indicate i merely stated that the rules of the Highway Code don't ask for it.

Use indicators where there is benefit to others. My thinking is, if you indicate automatically, you're not thinking about the moment in hand. Be aware of what's happening around you and indicate (or not) as appropriate.

I disagree. You should use your indicators at all times. Just because you think there is no one around to benefit from your indicating doesn't mean there isn't.

Also, behaviours are habit forming. I would rather people unthinkingly indicate rather than unthinkingly not indicate.

jb

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 10:50 ----------

Example.

There are examples which don't require a nutter. Imagine you're in the inside lane approaching some slower moving vehicles so you indicate to pull into the middle lane. At the same time an outside lane hogger decides to pull into the middle lane without indicating.

jb

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 10:53 ----------

This is true, you don't have to signal to come back into lane. The reason is because you're only supposed to use the other 2 lanes for overtaking manoeuvres. However, we all know that's not the way most drivers use the motorways. People tend to pick a lane and stay in it.

Indicating to change lanes can't be harming anyone.

No. In times of congestion you should use all three lanes.

jb

You need to determine "undertake", passing a vehicle on the inside and then pulling in front of it is an illegal manouvre.So that person would be responsible for any impending crash.

I didn't say it would harm anyone to indicate i merely stated that the rules of the Highway Code don't ask for it.

The rules state that you should follow the Mirrors Signal Maneuver routine and defensive driving is your best bet for avoiding an accident, don't assume everyone on the roads is sensible, legal and will know what you intend to do if you don't indicate your intentions.

Archived