Religion pushing beliefs on to others..is it right?

I used to be vehemently anti-religion, going to a catholic primary school does that to people I think. But over time I have grown to appreciate certain aspects of religion that we, as a society, are losing faster than we could ever have imagined, and because we don't take religion seriously any more we don't even realise.

I am an atheist, have been for a long, long time, but the one thing that church/mosque/synagogue offers is community and a sense of belonging and we are seeing that disappear all around us.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 18:14 ----------

There are some Muslims born here, have good jobs, well educated and seemingly well behaved, who go abroad to kill for their God. The Muslims are threatening to come back to Britain in order to commit atrocities. I believe, by reports, that around 400 are involved. It makes you think. Which Muslims can we trust? This country is in for a very rocky ride.

Longleyman, with respect, it is a shame that you don't read a newspaper that explains how many mercenaries, white British, are fighting in Iraq and surrounding areas. Their involvement in Mali, the Congo and numerous other African countries. Their role in protecting drugs crops in South and Middle America and South East Asia.

400 Muslims went abroad to fight for their religion, there are nearly 3 million. That is one in every... 10,000 roughly? How is that relevant friend?

I used to be vehemently anti-religion, going to a catholic primary school does that to people I think. But over time I have grown to appreciate certain aspects of religion that we, as a society, are losing faster than we could ever have imagined, and because we don't take religion seriously any more we don't even realise.

I am an atheist, have been for a long, long time, but the one thing that church/mosque/synagogue offers is community and a sense of belonging and we are seeing that disappear all around us.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 18:14 ----------

Longleyman, with respect, it is a shame that you don't read a newspaper that explains how many mercenaries, white British, are fighting in Iraq and surrounding areas. Their involvement in Mali, the Congo and numerous other African countries. Their role in protecting drugs crops in South and Middle America and South East Asia.

400 Muslims went abroad to fight for their religion, there are nearly 3 million. That is one in every... 10,000 roughly? How is that relevant friend?

Hi Tim, I don't know if there is a God or not. I just don't know. Mind you I do use the Church of England for weddings and funerals.

Hi Tim, I don't know if there is a God or not. I just don't know. Mind you I do use the Church of England for weddings and funerals.

so who are these Muslims threatening to return to the UK and commit atrocities? Evidence?

so who are these Muslims threatening to return to the UK and commit atrocities? Evidence?

MI5 and police have already intercepted an alleged serious plot by jihadis returning from the war torn region last Autumn.

They were said to be planning a Mumbai-style gun attack on civilians in a crowded place, possibly London.

The returnees are now being monitored by the security services, The Sunday Times reports.

I agree 1000% (I know, 100 is the most you can have :) )

I do community work and came to see how virtually all youth provision and things like scouts etc, are either directly funded and run by, or, have their roots in, religious organisations.

The recent rationalist/sceptic/atheist attacks on religions (Dawkins et al) disgusted me so much that I no longer refer to myself as an atheist, for fear of being associated with that movement.

That's not to say that great harms haven't been performed by some in the name of religion, or, that there aren't serious issues in a minority of religious organisations, just that I abhor the knee-jerk dismissal of all religion as meritless.

I do envy the community focus and altruism common in many religions.

When was the last time Muslims knocked on your door trying to convert you?

Never is the answer. :rolleyes:

Do they have to? Not yet anyway, but I suspect there will be a time when they will. They were out in force today on Fargate trying desperately to push their opinions on people

I am not concerned about white British mercenaries, I am worried that there might be muslims returning and being suicide bombers who could bomb civilians and builidings.

Back on topic. Some people will consider it right, others won't. I think the scary thing is how people consider their own position to be absolute truth, which makes (in their eyes) any other position wrong. Religion definitely seems to encourage this all or nothing mentality in people.

just had the "pleasure" of answering my door to a Jehovah witness family dragging a little child around with them in beauchief, in the hot sun pushing their beliefs, i cant understand why people with different beliefs thinks it ok to pester people especially with young children this little lad was no more than 4 or 5 clearly not enjoying himself.

i ask myself there must be something missing from your belief if you have to continually try and push your views on others, surely like me you should be happy within yourself and leave others to their own.

all religions to some extent have this problem, Islam, Jehovahs, christians although i cant remember any bhuddists or jews pushing their ideals.

Is that any worse than any of the political parties leafleting/knocking on your doors come election time with the promise your life can be improved by your support?

Archived