Sheffield Town centre

Well i never thought that i would say this but i have been up to Halifax today for the first time in 40yrs.Amazed,I should say,what a lovely clean place to be the shops were vibrant the people looked happy and smiling some streets had glass roofs the market was well laid out and busy.There was a food festival going on which made the one in Sheffield look very tatty all the stalls were clean with good wholesome food and clean people serving it,well done Halifax,so if any of the Sheffield Council are reading my comments instead of going on pointless trips abroad gets your butts up to Halifax and see how its done and stop blaming everyone else for your shortsightedness.

At first glance the shops in Halifax look smart but take a closer look and you'll notice nice buildings housing the same tatty shops as any other crappy town centre.

I was saying this to a colleague the other week as we drove through. It's a shame really.

Not to say sheffields city centre isn't an embarrassment but we've done that a million times. It'll not change til we out this council but people keep voting them in.

Well i never thought that i would say this but i have been up to Halifax today for the first time in 40yrs.Amazed,I should say,what a lovely clean place to be the shops were vibrant the people looked happy and smiling some streets had glass roofs the market was well laid out and busy.There was a food festival going on which made the one in Sheffield look very tatty all the stalls were clean with good wholesome food and clean people serving it,well done Halifax,so if any of the Sheffield Council are reading my comments instead of going on pointless trips abroad gets your butts up to Halifax and see how its done and stop blaming everyone else for your shortsightedness.

To be fair, I was in sheffield city center this afternoon and, similarly, it was vibrant, lots of happy faces and some excellent busking. It was a sunny day- things always look better and people tend to be happier on sunny days.

Not to say sheffields city centre isn't an embarrassment but we've done that a million times. It'll not change til we out this council but people keep voting them in.

What kind of idiotic statement is that? It won't change whoever gets in, it never did. Nor is it a problem just for Sheffield but something that is prevalent throughout the UK regardless of the political persuasion of the local authority

What kind of idiotic statement is that? It won't change whoever gets in, it never did. Nor is it a problem just for Sheffield but something that is prevalent throughout the UK regardless of the political persuasion of the local authority

Totally agree with you Mecky. I'm not from Sheffield originally and moved here in 1987. My home town of Paisley (nr Glasgow) suffered a similar fate to Sheffield in the 80s in that all the local big employers closed and it's just disintegrated ever since. They have had a Labour council and an SNP council over the years and not a lot of change. At least we have shops here in the city centre. Paisley High St is dead!

They blame Braehead (their equivalent of Meadowhall). I don't any more than I blame Meadowhall for Sheffield city centre. There is only a finite amount of money people have to spend and there is internet shopping. I never go to Meadowhall personally and if I can't get it in town then I use the net. Unless there is an underlying vibrant local economy and people have cash to spend not a lot will change sadly.

Sheffield CITY centre for a start. Totally different land area. Totally different needs. Stop trying to compare a major city to a selection to dinky market towns.

As others have said Halifax buildings may have been preserved making it look more visually appealing I admit, but other than that its a tinpot run down town along with many others clinging onto Leeds.

Halifax has just as many cheap tacky shops as Sheffield but completely lacks any big names, department stores or independant boutiques to counter it.

Sheffield had many loveley buildings which in another world may have been preserved. Unfortunately a lot of these had the crap bombed out of them during the war and had to be rebuilt at a time when architectural style was not exactly great.

I went to the Sheffield Food festival and completely disagree with your comments I certainly did not find it to be tatty or unclean.

I doubt that Calderdale MBC has much to show Sheffield CC about "how its done". They too are trying to scramble a masterplan and regeneraton plan to attract retailers and revive Halifax's current poor offering. Hardly one to desprately try to follow are they?

I am getting absolutely sick to death of daily thread after threads on how crap Sheffield City Centre is, How things are so much better elsewhere, how our Council are so incompetent and how poor our retail offering is. I really hope potential investors never look at a whinging, whiny, jelous posts all over this forum or they will never bother to build anything.

High Streets across the country are suffering - "...its all the Council's fault..."

A poorly perfoming trader closes down nationally and leaves an empty unit on fargate - "...its all the Council's fault..."

A regeneration project suffers financially due to the global recession - "...its all the Council's fault..."

A building is knocked down and leaves a gap for a few months whilst being rebuilt - "...its all the Council's fault..."

Absolutely sick of it now. Like somewhere else better? Grass greener on the other side? Go live there then.

As a person who has to travel all over the country for work I have seen what some really run down cities are like. I have seen absolute hell holes with entire streets of shop units closed/grilled over or knocked down with no sign of regeneration. If people really think Sheffield is that bad - they really need to get around more.

We have a fantastic city centre. Lots of green spaces, great new public square developments, winter gardens, galleries, a selection of big department stores and high street names, an (albeit small) selection of designer boutiques, a thriving university population, a good mix of residential and commercial space mostly occupied, big name hotels with thriving bookings, a large theatre complex and further expansion of developments to come with the new cinema, restaurants and retail.

What more do people want?

The food festival was great and they should I think do more of this sort of thing. The shops we have are fine - just would be better if the empty ones could be filled but it's hardly a ghost town.

Sheffield still has some great looking buildings despite the post war abominations :)

That's strange - I work with someone from Halifax and she maintains that it's the backside of the world - couldn't wait to leave and has never regretted coming to live and work in Sheffield - she's been here for 25 years !

Archived