Sheffield Town centre

Piece hall in Halifax is quite nice but not all the units are let same as anywhere else - otherwise not a lot to write home about IMHO

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 18:07 ----------

Tastes differ but in building terms we have a Cathedral, City Hall, Town Hall and the station - all striking buildings. Going down Fargate and looking up a few nice buildings still remain. Charter Row has been preserved. OK a lot was lost in WW2 and what went up in their place isn't always that pleasing to the eye but there are far, far worse places than Sheffield.

Piece hall in Halifax is quite nice but not all the units are let same as anywhere else - otherwise not a lot to write home about IMHO

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 18:07 ----------

Tastes differ but in building terms we have a Cathedral, City Hall, Town Hall and the station - all striking buildings. Going down Fargate and looking up a few nice buildings still remain. Charter Row has been preserved. OK a lot was lost in WW2 and what went up in their place isn't always that pleasing to the eye but there are far, far worse places than Sheffield.

What about the Cutlers Hall, Paradise Square and the Lyceum - we have a lot of beautiful buildings in the city centre - some folk walk around with their eyes closed !

Sheffield CITY centre for a start. Totally different land area. Totally different needs. Stop trying to compare a major city to a selection to dinky market towns.

As others have said Halifax buildings may have been preserved making it look more visually appealing I admit, but other than that its a tinpot run down town along with many others clinging onto Leeds.

Halifax has just as many cheap tacky shops as Sheffield but completely lacks any big names, department stores or independant boutiques to counter it.

Sheffield had many loveley buildings which in another world may have been preserved. Unfortunately a lot of these had the crap bombed out of them during the war and had to be rebuilt at a time when architectural style was not exactly great.

I went to the Sheffield Food festival and completely disagree with your comments I certainly did not find it to be tatty or unclean.

I doubt that Calderdale MBC has much to show Sheffield CC about "how its done". They too are trying to scramble a masterplan and regeneraton plan to attract retailers and revive Halifax's current poor offering. Hardly one to desprately try to follow are they?

Oh dear Ecconob I appear to have upset you.Do you really go around with your eyes shut because my eyes see totally different views to yours.I re-iterate what i stated and halifax is far better and cleaner than Sheffield.Do not get into the topic of war damage because i was around at the time to see this and successive councils have had more than their fare share of time to rectify this to a superior standard.Yes I am fully aware that Sheffield is a City but when has any true Sheffielder said that they are going to the city.I have spent 72 years in this once proud City so just give me a little credit to know what i see.Maybe your standards are a little lower than mine but hey! thats not my problem.I really ought to know by now not to post on this Forum because this has also gone down the nick in the past couple of years.Sheffield appears to be full of blinkered people who want to live in the past now so this CITY will never go forward.

I am no apologist for the council (they have been poor throughout my 63 years in Sheffield) but they can't be held responsible for all of Sheffield's problems.

The OP seems to blame the council specifically for the following :

Not making independant food retailers provide better food (although I suspect that many of them are the same as those in Halifax)

Not making people smile enough.

Not putting a glass roof on Fargate.(look forward to the OP letting us have a cost estimate so that we can have a whipround)

I was in Sheffield on Thursday and it was perfectly clean and as a few have said already Sheffield has some incredible buildings.

One of the things that drew me here when I was considering a move out of London was how clean the city centre was. So I moved and very glad I did. Some of the buildings post war are eyesores - true indeed.

It's sad to see how things have in some areas gone downhill but that's what happens when big businesses disappear and it's not all SCC's fault. They couldn't have prevented pits closing and the steel industry being reduced to the current levels. All the things that generated trade for the shops both in the city centre and locally.

Sheffield has the same social problems any other place has. What it lacks is investment and that's where SCC (no matter what party is leading the council) I feel have let us all down a bit. The IKEA debate is a clear example and as for the airport...... 4th biggest city in the UK and we don't have an airport. Something not right there!

Plymouth thrives because MOD invest heavily in the area, dean1, because it's a naval town. We don't have that investment here.

You can't got saying things like that on here. The inbreeds will be after you. Sheffield city centre might be a crap hole, but it's their crap hole. They would rather make excuses than suggest the council do anything about it.

They started posting right after you :hihi:

Our crappy town centre wants nuking, its an embarrassment.

They started posting right after you :hihi:

Our crappy town centre wants nuking, its an embarrassment.

Ok if money was limitless what would you change and why?

Open question no ulterior motive

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:00 ----------

I'll start the ball rolling. The taxi rank at the station does my head in. Not enough room and very badly thought through from a traffic management point of view. They were fine where they were before.

Ok if money was limitless what would you change and why?

Open question no ulterior motive

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:00 ----------

I'll start the ball rolling. The taxi rank at the station does my head in. Not enough room and very badly thought through from a traffic management point of view. They were fine where they were before.

Someone told me that a lot of the empty buildings owners couldn't even be identified, nobody even knew who some of them were any more, surely buildings like this should be forced into modernisation or redevelopment and the stubborn owners who seem happy to leave buildings to rot should be forced to take compulsory purchase orders like the ones being used in Leeds.

Someone told me that a lot of the empty buildings owners couldn't even be identified, nobody even knew who some of them were any more, surely buildings like this should be forced into modernisation or redevelopment and the stubborn owners who seem happy to leave buildings to rot should be forced to take compulsory purchase orders like the ones being used in Leeds.

who told you that. Virtually every bit of land is owned by someone.

There is no legislation in place as far as im aware that compels someone to modernise and redevelop. CPOs are used in Sheffield, but they still have to pay for the land and they can only be used as allowed for by the legislation.

Archived