Sheffield Town centre

Ok if money was limitless what would you change and why?

Open question no ulterior motive

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:00 ----------

I'll start the ball rolling. The taxi rank at the station does my head in. Not enough room and very badly thought through from a traffic management point of view. They were fine where they were before.

MPS building. It looks like a giant dog has laid a big one right in the middle of the road. They could stick a huge walnut on top and pretend it was a giant walnut whip sculpture. It wants nuking. If they have any more nukes on board they might as well do hay market, Park Hill flats, the manor and all that area behind Arundel Gate.

MPS building. It looks like a giant dog has laid a big one right in the middle of the road. They could stick a huge walnut on top and pretend it was a giant walnut whip sculpture. It wants nuking. If they have any more nukes on board they might as well do hay market, Park Hill flats, the manor and all that area behind Arundel Gate.

And it blocks the road to London.

And it blocks the road to London.

The MPS building is owned and occupied by SCC. It used to be Crown property when it was Manpower (I worked in it then). We gave it up a few years back.

It is nicer inside than outside have to say. :|

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 20:18 ----------

Parkhill flats are G2 listed so they have to stay. Love em or hate em not going anywhere. Not my cup of tea but no choice with that one.

Someone told me that a lot of the empty buildings owners couldn't even be identified, nobody even knew who some of them were any more, surely buildings like this should be forced into modernisation or redevelopment and the stubborn owners who seem happy to leave buildings to rot should be forced to take compulsory purchase orders like the ones being used in Leeds.

How dare you use that word on here..!

who told you that. Virtually every bit of land is owned by someone.

There is no legislation in place as far as im aware that compels someone to modernise and redevelop. CPOs are used in Sheffield, but they still have to pay for the land and they can only be used as allowed for by the legislation.

I understand that but some buildings are in such a state the cost of renovating must be astronomical and demolition is the only way, the owners who refuse to conform should have a time limit.

Land Registry will have a record of who owns what - legal requirement. There are some pressures the council can put on absentee landlords to maintain their property even if it is empty but that costs money if they don;t comply and they have to go through the courts.

Oh dear Ecconob I appear to have upset you.Do you really go around with your eyes shut because my eyes see totally different views to yours.I re-iterate what i stated and halifax is far better and cleaner than Sheffield.Do not get into the topic of war damage because i was around at the time to see this and successive councils have had more than their fare share of time to rectify this to a superior standard.Yes I am fully aware that Sheffield is a City but when has any true Sheffielder said that they are going to the city.I have spent 72 years in this once proud City so just give me a little credit to know what i see.Maybe your standards are a little lower than mine but hey! thats not my problem.I really ought to know by now not to post on this Forum because this has also gone down the nick in the past couple of years.Sheffield appears to be full of blinkered people who want to live in the past now so this CITY will never go forward.

Firstly you are not comparing like for like. Quaint little town filled with lots of victorian buildings yes - did you not see what was occupying those buildings?? Tat shops.

No I dont go around with my eyes closed. In fact I see far more cities that are genuine dumps. Sheffield is not even close.

Of course, we have plenty of run down empty units just like everywhere else. BUT I also see the good things we have, unlike many on this forum. We have undergone a lot of transformations and lots of it for the better.

Old peace gardens? Eggbox buildings? Hole in the road? Pond Street/Sheaf Streets were complete eyesores 20 years ago. Look at them now.

Dont tell me that's not an improvement.

I am trying to get across that this obsession with "council" "council" "council" is just moronic. There are far more bigger things going on.

Retail trends, income brackets, shopping habits, tastes, lifestyles, relocation of companies, developments outside centres, increased in car ownership and use, recessisons, have all had major impacts on the High Streets and City Centres EVERYWHERE not just in Sheffield.

The city is going forward otherwise none of the developments would have happened. Maybe its just not your taste.

Firstly you are not comparing like for like. Quaint little town filled with lots of victorian buildings yes - did you not see what was occupying those buildings?? Tat shops.

No I dont go around with my eyes closed. In fact I see far more cities that are genuine dumps. Sheffield is not even close.

Of course, we have plenty of run down empty units just like everywhere else. BUT I also see the good things we have, unlike many on this forum. We have undergone a lot of transformations and lots of it for the better.

Old peace gardens? Eggbox buildings? Hole in the road? Pond Street/Sheaf Streets were complete eyesores 20 years ago. Look at them now.

Dont tell me that's not an improvement.

I am trying to get across that this obsession with "council" "council" "council" is just moronic. There are far more bigger things going on.

Retail trends, income brackets, shopping habits, tastes, lifestyles, relocation of companies, developments outside centres, increased in car ownership and use, recessisons, have all had major impacts on the High Streets and City Centres EVERYWHERE not just in Sheffield.

The city is going forward otherwise none of the developments would have happened. Maybe its just not your taste.

Couldn't agree more :)

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 21:33 ----------

I've just picked up a pamphlet from my door mat about local services and attractions - just a shame it was for Manchester :(

Archived