50,000 protest Austerity

Over a million people marched in protest against Blair's illegal war in Iraq in 2003 and it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2765041.stm

Set against that, 50,000 people is a pathetically poor turnout for a protest march

What's that got to do with cuts to public services or punishing the most vulnerable in society? I don't remember Blair going to war in 2003, we certainly didn't declare war on Iraq, but we did invade Iraq to remove a despot. Why do you think the military action in Iraq in 2003 was illegal?

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 12:30 ----------

He's got a point though. When did a protest actually achieve something in this country? Poll tax maybe? And there were other factors at play too.

Rebekkah riots, Tolpuddle Martyrs, Luddites, Chartism, Unions etc. The list is endless

What's that got to do with cuts to public services or punishing the most vulnerable in society? I don't remember Blair going to war in 2003, we certainly didn't declare war on Iraq, but we did invade Iraq to remove a despot. Why do you think the military action in Iraq in 2003 was illegal?

Rebekkah riots, Tolpuddle Martyrs, Luddites, Chartism, Unions etc. The list is endless

What did the Luddites protest achieve?

Sort of ends at the poll tax though - chronologically speaking. Anything since?

He's got a point though. When did a protest actually achieve something in this country? Poll tax maybe? And there were other factors at play too.

But what alternative is there? Seriously, what else can people do?

I wish there was some kind of direct action that worked, but unfortunately their isn't. Voting - I do it, but a waste of time, tried writing to MPs etc - also waste of time. Striking - done it, but hurts the wrong people and gets a bad press. And so on...

Basically we're in a position where politicians/parties can do whatever they want and get away with it, even more so with the EU to hide behind. We've had this discussion before on the forum, if politicians don't start to listen to the voters what's going to happen next when things get really bad?

At least protesting is some sort of a safety valve. At the moment...

But what alternative is there? Seriously, what else can people do?

I wish there was some kind of direct action that worked, but unfortunately their isn't. Voting - I do it, but a waste of time, tried writing to MPs etc - also waste of time. Striking - done it, but hurts the wrong people and gets a bad press. And so on...

Basically we're in a position where politicians/parties can do whatever they want and get away with it, even more so with the EU to hide behind. We've had this discussion before on the forum, if politicians don't start to listen to the voters what's going to happen next when things get really bad?

At least protesting is some sort of a safety valve. At the moment...

Ignore politicians altogether and take responsibility for their own lives rather than expecting others to find them jobs, homes and services?

In the age of social media there's something quaintly old fashioned about people thinking wandering up and down the street with a piece of cardboard on a stick is going to change anything.

Ignore politicians altogether and take responsibility for their own lives rather than expecting others to find them jobs, homes and services?

In the age of social media there's something quaintly old fashioned about people thinking wandering up and down the street with a piece of cardboard on a stick is going to change anything.

You can't take responsibility though, that's why we have politicians. If they weren't needed we wouldn't have them. Politicians try to keep themselves in jobs and are in the business of restricting peoples' actions in many cases so they are unable to better themselves.

As to your last point, why bother posting then? All you're doing yourself is walking up and down the street with a sandwich board around your neck spouting your views and opinions of others, albeit over the Internet.

I wonder if the people of stoke were represented in london when the demo took place......http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2014/07/07/ideological-austerity-has-hit-uk-families-so-hard-that-starving-children-are-eating-from-bins/

Archived