Ideal temperature for real ale.

I got some cases of real ale at Christmas (don't worry they're long gone now!) IPAs I guess mostly. They were fine kept in a coldish kitchen in winter but I thought too cold when put in a fridge - it really seemed to take some flavour away. I've got some innis and gunn (well tasty) but the kitchen is a lot hotter now. Do I go for the fridge again? How do does everyone else store it?

I got some cases of real ale at Christmas (don't worry they're long gone now!) IPAs I guess mostly. They were fine kept in a coldish kitchen in winter but I thought too cold when put in a fridge - it really seemed to take some flavour away. I've got some innis and gunn (well tasty) but the kitchen is a lot hotter now. Do I go for the fridge again? How do does everyone else store it?

Some beers have a suggested serving temperature on the label - so it would be worth having a look there.

I don't bother too much - just leave them in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Real ale is served at cellar temperature 12-14 C (54-57 F), which is somewhat cooler than room temperature. If real ale is too warm it is not appetizing, it loses its natural conditioning (the liveliness of the beer due to the dissolved carbon dioxide).

Me personally, I have mine as cold as possible (even turn the fridge to almost freezing) in hot whether, but over the winter months I like it at pantry temperature (slightly cooler than room temperature) - but each to his own.

---------- Post added 22-06-2014 at 20:52 ----------

What an incredibly pretentious thread, I'm sure real men used to drink real ale at one time :rolleyes:

Pretentious! :o, this is serious business I'll have you know. :rant:

Most of my beers are stored in a cabinet or in the coal shed. I prefer some beers, especially IPAs cool so I put them in the fridge maybe an hour before drinking.

*checks the location of the coal shed and dons the burglars uniform*

What an incredibly pretentious thread, I'm sure real men used to drink real ale at one time :rolleyes:

You don't understand - at Christmas the difference between fridge and non-fridge was marked and ruined by drinking pleasure. Well it did for a bit - after several "tests" I didn't notice as much.

No clues on the label. That sort of thing seems to be the preserve of lagers.

Archived