Cockles, Mussels, Whelks,Prawns!!

That's a phrase you don,t hear in Sheffield pubs nowadays,I used to love polishing off a packet of any of those items after a few pints!.Every pub you called in had a visit from various blokes selling them from a basket,also I had a liking for those packets of Billions sold off a card behind the bar,the ones with small cheese pkts and silver skin onions!.Not forgetting the old pork scratchings,I can,t remember the last time I enjoyed these little treats,the last seller I saw was in the 80s in the Queens Hotel Mosborough!.I suppose they stopped because it wasn,t profitable any more,oh well times change I suppose,did anyone else on the Forum enjoy them as much as I?.:confused::hihi::hihi:

Edited by old tup
I can,t spell whelks!

I too was a cockle seller in the late 60's/ early 70's.

There was always some clever dick asking "got any crabs mate?"

My response was a polite smile and proceed to stick the basket near enough to his missis so she would inevitably take a packet, and watch his face as he had no option but to stick his hand in his pocket and pay up.

I think there were a couple of stalls in Castle Market where you could walk up to a bar and there were little paper plates and wooden forks with a small serving of these delicacies - must have been early '60s. I think yo paid by the numer of plates you ate - they were tiny - the size of a jam jar lid.