Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

The answer is to deny them access to the train without a ticket at the point of depature...or to de-train at first available place.

The subsequent dleays to the service should ramp up the pressure to clamp down on such behaviour.

Personally i find some of the comments on this thread quite shocking i am sure if the police manhandled one of your family members like that you would soon have something to say.

Depends how one of my family members behaved really, isnt it?

Which one are you related to then? Anthony Nuttall or George Arthur?

Edited by No User Name

Guest busdriver1
Personally i find some of the comments on this thread quite shocking i am sure if the police manhandled one of your family members like that you would soon have something to say.

If one of my family behaved in this way I would disown him or her. I do not condone theft by anyone of any age.

shut up no not at all i have never been in trouble may i add good to stereo type someone there giive yourself a gold star .

None of that makes sense!!! how am I stereotyping you when you yourself said you went through burger king to avoid the police / sniffer dogs. OK, whilst you didnt say that in so many words the implication was there and the police quite reasonably also assumed that when they stopped you and asked why you had taken that route

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 13:47 ----------

eh??? is anyone in your family over 65 years old and find it hard to make ends meet?

yes, and your point is???

I've finally got to see the video.

Firstly, we cannot see what went on before, so it's impossible to judge the build up, and to know what led to the police deciding to restrain him, and whether it was a justifiable decision. However, once they have decided to restrain him:

Secondly, it's much safer for 4 or 5 people to overpower and restrain someone than it is for 1 person to do so. 1 person would have to fight, 5 can just restrain.

Thirdly, I think being held like that would be very restrictive and uncomfortable, and I wouldn't like it, but it is an effective way of controlling someone. If he needed controlling (we go back to "firstly" above, as we cannot tell if he was being difficult beforehand and not controllable by reasoning with him), then it looks to be an effective and reasonably harmless way of doing it.

Fourthly, he's a sixty odd year old man, not 95. I'm just a couple of years younger than him. If he was acting in a manner that needed restraint, then, IMO, his age is not a concern. Of course he could have been suffering from some sort of ailment which would have made the restraint dangerous, but so could anyone of any age. Just because he's in his 60s doesn't make him some sort of no go area or particularly delicate.

Fifthly, IMO he did look to be trying to struggle, so I reckon it was a good idea to keep the restraint in place during the video. They should only release him when they think it is safe to do so.

Sixthly, on the basis that the station is private property, I wonder who owns the video. Are people allowed to film?

Seventhly, I wish someone would have arrested the woman.

the journalist was threatened with arrest under the 'terrorism act' for posting the video on the star website unless he removed it.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-rail-protest-arrests-transport-police-respond-1-6690530

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 14:08 ----------

yes, and your point is???

If ? they were protesting ,would you like to see them handled in that way,whether they were breaking the law or not.

I expect your answer to be , 'they wouldn't be protesting though'. :D