Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

What I am trying to say the day before a disabled person becomes a pensioner who qualified for free rail travel, will then have to replace their mobility pass with a pensioners pass, which means that they would have to pay half price rail travel.

So the question again, is it right for a disabled pensioner to pay more to travel on the train, than a younger disabled person.

My Dad was 80+ fit as a fiddle had a normal pensioners pass. When he suddenly became terminally ill and became disabled, we told sypte, and they replaced his pensioners pass with a disabled one.

A peaceful direct action by disabled people and older people at Sheffield train station against South Yorkshire Transport for revoking free travel from March 31st has been marred once more by aggressive police actions. There have been peaceful direct actions since April.

Sixty protesters took part yesterday (23rd June) two were arrested and a blind freedom rider was knocked about falling on top of an activist in a wheelchair. George and Tony who were arrested are in court in Sheffield on 7th July.

(UKUncut Sheffield) said in April:

“SYPTE say they can no longer afford concessionary travel for disabled people and older people on South Yorkshire trains. These concessions are a lifeline for people in South Yorkshire, one of the most deprived areas of the country with the lowest average income. People rely on the concessions to get to work, reach medical appointments and to travel to places of education. The claim that concessions are unaffordable on trains in South Yorkshire sits ill with the fact that the chief operator of trains in South Yorkshire, Northern Rail, made £40.1m profit on the back of inflation busting fare rises, according to latest available figures (4) Northern Rail are also part owned by Serco and Dutch national rail operator Abellio; Serco received billions in public subsidy each year (5) for government contracts and have also been accused of defrauding the taxpayer over their prison contracts. A company that already makes huge profits on the back of profiteering from the tax payer and shifting profits out of the country to The Netherlands, which refuses to disclose how much public money goes into the pockets of shareholders and directors has a hard time convincing people it cannot afford to allow people for whom its trains are a vital lifeline to travel on them for free.”

People from across South Yorkshire have been taking direct action to overturn the decision by South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to remove the right to free travel for all concession holders on South Yorkshire trains; the legality of this decision is currently being challenged in the courts.

DPAC sends solidarity to the protesters and to George Arthur and Tony Nuttall. There will be a locally based fund raiser for any fines. Please see video where five police in explicitly hold down one protester despite his lack of resistance.

. People rely on the concessions to get to work,

If they're working then they can afford to pay the same as everyone else has to.

Please see video where five police in explicitly hold down one protester despite his lack of resistance.

You mean the edited video that doesn't show said detainee spitting and swinging his backpack at officers prior to the actions taken by the BTP.

The restraint technique the were using is designed to stop the detainee from resisting. It's called a straight arm bar. The reason that there were 5 officers surrounding him was to protect the very close by members of public by creating a barrier between him and the public.

Please try again.

ok sheeple believe what you want to believe and go back to sleep and believe in the little lies you keep telling yourself s.. we see when the train stations cctv footage is used in the court of law that the public did not give permission to be filmed but do ok go back to sleep you rail staff dreamers

Guest busdriver1
ok sheeple believe what you want to believe and go back to sleep and believe in the little lies you keep telling yourself s.. we see when the train stations cctv footage is used in the court of law that the public did not give permission to be filmed but do ok go back to sleep you rail staff dreamers

If the cctv shows what the protesters are claiming, backed up by their edited footage then these thieves will walk free.

If they do not then we can assume that they are guilty of offences.

I just hope when I am a pensioner I can conduct myself with a bit more decorum than this rabble. I am ashamed to be british when i see blatant hypocrisy like this.

This is the same generation that voted for whatever party was offering the biggest tax cuts at each election but now expect the tax payer to fund all their whims in their dotage.

Tough, I am still voting for the same tax cuts that you did so live with it.

A disabled pensioner can have a mobility pass so would get 24/7 travel.

How to qualify for a pass

If you live in South Yorkshire and are under 65 years of age you may qualify for a pass if you:

are blind or partially-sighted

are deaf of without speech

have a disability which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk

do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of your arms

have a learning disability, or

have been or would be refused a driver’s licence on medical grounds (other than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs and alcohol).

If you live outside South Yorkshire, you need to apply to the local authority that covers your usual place of residence.

---------- Post added 26-06-2014 at 15:27 ----------

I am deaf but was refused a mobility pass as apparently my deafness is not severe enough and I can not drive due to sleep apnoea yet was still turned down, so it isn't that easy.

Guest busdriver1

I am deaf but was refused a mobility pass as apparently my deafness is not severe enough and I can not drive due to sleep apnoea yet was still turned down, so it isn't that easy.

But you work and have a free travel pass so what are you after?

A peaceful direct action by disabled people and older people at Sheffield train station against South Yorkshire Transport for revoking free travel from March 31st has been marred once more by aggressive police actions. There have been peaceful direct actions since April.

Sixty protesters took part yesterday (23rd June) two were arrested and a blind freedom rider was knocked about falling on top of an activist in a wheelchair. George and Tony who were arrested are in court in Sheffield on 7th July.

(UKUncut Sheffield) said in April:

“SYPTE say they can no longer afford concessionary travel for disabled people and older people on South Yorkshire trains. These concessions are a lifeline for people in South Yorkshire, one of the most deprived areas of the country with the lowest average income. People rely on the concessions to get to work, reach medical appointments and to travel to places of education. The claim that concessions are unaffordable on trains in South Yorkshire sits ill with the fact that the chief operator of trains in South Yorkshire, Northern Rail, made £40.1m profit on the back of inflation busting fare rises, according to latest available figures (4) Northern Rail are also part owned by Serco and Dutch national rail operator Abellio; Serco received billions in public subsidy each year (5) for government contracts and have also been accused of defrauding the taxpayer over their prison contracts. A company that already makes huge profits on the back of profiteering from the tax payer and shifting profits out of the country to The Netherlands, which refuses to disclose how much public money goes into the pockets of shareholders and directors has a hard time convincing people it cannot afford to allow people for whom its trains are a vital lifeline to travel on them for free.”

People from across South Yorkshire have been taking direct action to overturn the decision by South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to remove the right to free travel for all concession holders on South Yorkshire trains; the legality of this decision is currently being challenged in the courts.

DPAC sends solidarity to the protesters and to George Arthur and Tony Nuttall. There will be a locally based fund raiser for any fines. Please see video where five police in explicitly hold down one protester despite his lack of resistance.

so basically the line is that theft from the railway is acceptable because they make a profit?:huh: right thats me off down to nick things from tesco then :)