Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Not all 65+ support this action which I find personally very embarrassing. It will do us no favours if more cuts by the government are made. It will create a 'them and us society'. We have some very generous travel benefits in place for OAP, appreciate them and stop making fools of yourselves.:roll:

Nice post.

It will indeed create a them and us.

Could also lead to means testing for passes..and then winter fuel allowance etc...thin wedge!

Not all pensioners need this travel perk.Both my parents have it..yet both have cars and drive but still have a pass ...One of them uses it to go to town every day to 'mooch around' as 'it's summat to do'.They freely admit they don't need to go to town every day and if they had to pay, which they also state they'd pay half fare, then they'd not go to town every day.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 12:40 ----------

The freeloaders are at it again today, so oremester, make sure you are down at the station to film the police brutality :)

Intentionally travelling without a ticket and breaking the law?

Freeloading gits.

Maybe they are hoping for more 'alleged' police brutality to further highlight their sad plight.

I trust they all travelled after 9.30 using their bus passes to get their and then protested.Hypocrites.

they should all be prosecuted with fare dodging and if applicable trespass.

may i say thank you to Aslef and RMT unions are not only supporting this protest but making regular modest donations the latest being another £50 donation from Aslef union ..good sport respect we also got unite the union backing and many more backing this protest thank you brother and sisters ;)

Right to protest

ShareThis

Save

The right to protest is widely viewed as a fundamental democratic freedom, and one that is rightfully guarded in democratic societies. Protest allows individuals and groups the right to demonstrate a point of view, which may run contrary to the prevailing opinion, or to demonstrate solidarity with other groups or victims of an event

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/government/civil_rights/8648.html

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:10 ----------

i ask you this who laid the first finger ;)

may i say thank you to Aslef and RMT unions are not only supporting this protest but making regular modest donations the latest being another £50 donation from Aslef union ..good sport respect we also got unite the union backing and many more backing this protest thank you brother and sisters ;)

So the union (who is meant to representing the people who you are confronting) is giving this group of fare dodgers money?

why? - you dont want to pay anything so what are you spending it on. If i was a member of this union i would be asking my rep why its giving money to cause aggro for its members.

What exactly is your protest about now robbert69? you have got the concession back so what exactly are you campaigning for ?

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:30 ----------

Right to protest

ShareThis

Save

The right to protest is widely viewed as a fundamental democratic freedom, and one that is rightfully guarded in democratic societies. Protest allows individuals and groups the right to demonstrate a point of view, which may run contrary to the prevailing opinion, or to demonstrate solidarity with other groups or victims of an event

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/government/civil_rights/8648.html

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:10 ----------

i ask you this who laid the first finger ;)

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd what exactly does this have to do with the bunch of fare dodgers?

People have a right ot protest in a peaceful lawful manner, yes. They dont have the right to protest by fare dodging and breaking the law, then refusing to comply with British Transport police directions.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/public

The train station is private property and there are MANY signs plus regular audio announcements that video surveillance takes place within the station. By virtue, remaining on the property you give permission to be filmed.

I'm far from being a "sheeple", I've been outspoken in many threads on this forum and have even received warnings to restrain what I write. But in this instance I am of the majority and it's your own single-minded self-importance that's blinding you to that.

---------- Post added 27-06-2014 at 08:44 ----------

Has no relevance. No-one died as a result of action taken on the date in question.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:44 ----------

So the union (who is meant to representing the people who you are confronting) is giving this group of fare dodgers money?

why? - you dont want to pay anything so what are you spending it on. If i was a member of this union i would be asking my rep why its giving money to cause aggro for its members.

What exactly is your protest about now robbert69? you have got the concession back so what exactly are you campaigning for ?

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:30 ----------

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd what exactly does this have to do with the bunch of fare dodgers?

People have a right ot protest in a peaceful lawful manner, yes. They dont have the right to protest by fare dodging and breaking the law, then refusing to comply with British Transport police directions.

if you stand back and let the government walk all over you thats what you get and if you doing a fun run ie shore some of the members will have chipt in it time to fight back and stop pointing the finger at each other look at the fat cat tax dodging scum that get billions out of the tax payer and screw you for more and more if you let them .. i don't think its the fairs there bothered about its the marrals behind it ... next it a be your heating allowance then your free tv licence

the unions have back t against all the cuts and still are doing more you complain and point the finger more ground the government gain wake up

Edited by robbert69
missed some thing

if you stand back and let the government walk all over you thats what you get and if you doing a fun run ie shore some of the members will have chipt in it time to fight back and stop pointing the finger at each other look at the fat cat tax dodging scum that get billions out of the tax payer and screw you for more and more if you let them .. i don't think its the fairs there bothered about its the marrals behind it ... next it a be your heating allowance then your free tv licence

the unions have back t against all the cuts and still are doing more you complain and point the finger more ground the government gain wake up

Could you be any more wrong? These cuts were brought about by SYPTE NOT central government and were done to bring South Yorkshire in line with EVERY OTHER COUNTY IN THE COUNTRY. Up till now the SYPTE have been able to give you free train travel and extended OAP pass times but now due to budget restrictions that EXTRA BONUS isn't sustainable so has been removed.

Edited by Resident

I have to be honest. Every time i saw the freedom riders I burst out laughing. I understand that it's a big issue but the sight of a bunch of old people rucking with police like seen in the student fees protest. Also the abuse sent in to BBC radio Sheffield my favorite was the man who was so angry at Toby Foster he was going to rip up his own bus pass. Seriously at times it looked like I was watching an episode of "Off their rockers".

Ride on! Freedom riders! Ride on!

I have to be honest. Every time i saw the freedom riders I burst out laughing. I understand that it's a big issue but the sight of a bunch of old people rucking with police like seen in the student fees protest. Also the abuse sent in to BBC radio Sheffield my favorite was the man who was so angry at Toby Foster he was going to rip up his own bus pass. Seriously at times it looked like I was watching an episode of "Off their rockers".

Ride on! Freedom riders! Ride on!

The man was going to rip up... Rip. Up. His pass...?

I'd like to see him do that, with the credit card material that they are printed on.

ROFL.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 19:20 ----------

Could you be any more wrong? These cuts were brought about by SYPTE NOT central government and were done to bring South Yorkshire in line with EVERY OTHER COUNTY IN THE COUNTRY. Up till now the SYPTE have been able to give you free train travel and extended OAP pass times but now due to budget restrictions that EXTRA BONUS isn't sustainable so has been removed.

Which bit of the constant "being told that many, many other authorities actually offer similar over-and-above concessions than the mandatory level that the law decrees" do you not understand? There is no "standard" across England and Wales, and to think so is to delude yourself. As listed elsewhere on the forum, there is a legal minimum that authorities are obliged to provide, ie bus travel, from 0930- 2300, and all day on weekends, but many authorities permit ferry travel, or tram and train travel, as well as various of them allowing pre 0930 travel.

For example, in Tyneside, an OAP concessionary pass holder can travel to a hospital appointment, prior to 0930, on production of a valid appointment letter, which they show to the driver, to obtain the concession. An idea I feel has much mileage for people attending appointments across all authorities. In Tyneside, They can also use trains.

In Liverpool, concessionary pass holders can travel on at least the bus and ferry.

Those examples are just two local authorities out of many which offer over and above.

Edited by Plain Talker