Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Right to protest

ShareThis

Save

The right to protest is widely viewed as a fundamental democratic freedom, and one that is rightfully guarded in democratic societies. Protest allows individuals and groups the right to demonstrate a point of view, which may run contrary to the prevailing opinion, or to demonstrate solidarity with other groups or victims of an event

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/government/civil_rights/8648.html

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:10 ----------

i ask you this who laid the first finger ;)

Protesting = Acceptable.

Travelling without a valid ticket = Not Acceptable.

A pretty simple concept.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 23:24 ----------

The man was going to rip up... Rip. Up. His pass...?

I'd like to see him do that, with the credit card material that they are printed on.

ROFL.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 19:20 ----------

Which bit of the constant "being told that many, many other authorities actually offer similar over-and-above concessions than the mandatory level that the law decrees" do you not understand? There is no "standard" across England and Wales, and to think so is to delude yourself. As listed elsewhere on the forum, there is a legal minimum that authorities are obliged to provide, ie bus travel, from 0930- 2300, and all day on weekends, but many authorities permit ferry travel, or tram and train travel, as well as various of them allowing pre 0930 travel.

For example, in Tyneside, an OAP concessionary pass holder can travel to a hospital appointment, prior to 0930, on production of a valid appointment letter, which they show to the driver, to obtain the concession. An idea I feel has much mileage for people attending appointments across all authorities. In Tyneside, They can also use trains.

In Liverpool, concessionary pass holders can travel on at least the bus and ferry.

Those examples are just two local authorities out of many which offer over and above.

I demand equality with Liverpool. Where's my Sheffield ferry concessionary pass?

Protesting = Acceptable.

A pretty simple concept.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 23:24 ----------

I demand equality with Liverpool. Where's my Sheffield ferry concessionary pass?

Yes, forget keeping up with Leeds. Harvey Nicks be blowed, what we need is a ferry.

Thanks Eater Sundae for your brilliant post.

Guest busdriver1
Protesting = Acceptable.

exactly, that is why they have so little support

Is this still going on? I have no sympathy for them. They broke the law and it's people like them that push the fares up for everyone else who is honest enough to buy a ticket.

Protest away but surely they can do it in a more peaceable manner ? Those who campaigned about the change in the fares for disabled customers who had to get to work didn't carry on like this and it got changed. Maybe take a leaf out of their book?

Right to protest

ShareThis

Save

The right to protest is widely viewed as a fundamental democratic freedom, and one that is rightfully guarded in democratic societies. Protest allows individuals and groups the right to demonstrate a point of view, which may run contrary to the prevailing opinion, or to demonstrate solidarity with other groups or victims of an event

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/government/civil_rights/8648.html

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 16:10 ----------

i ask you this who laid the first finger ;)

Serious question time. WHO are the pensioners protesting against? Not what, but WHO?

Which bit of the constant "being told that many, many other authorities actually offer similar over-and-above concessions than the mandatory level that the law decrees" do you not understand? There is no "standard" across England and Wales, and to think so is to delude yourself. As listed elsewhere on the forum, there is a legal minimum that authorities are obliged to provide, ie bus travel, from 0930- 2300, and all day on weekends, but many authorities permit ferry travel, or tram and train travel, as well as various of them allowing pre 0930 travel.

For example, in Tyneside, an OAP concessionary pass holder can travel to a hospital appointment, prior to 0930, on production of a valid appointment letter, which they show to the driver, to obtain the concession. An idea I feel has much mileage for people attending appointments across all authorities. In Tyneside, They can also use trains.

In Liverpool, concessionary pass holders can travel on at least the bus and ferry.

Those examples are just two local authorities out of many which offer over and above.

PT i was actually agreeing with you on this thread for once, then you came out with this rubbish. You are right there is a minimum. Any local authority that chooses to fund any additional travel over and above this must do so from its own resources. SY did this previously and no doesnt have the money to do so anymore.

Your argument about other authorities holds little water to be honest, what other authorities spend their money is up to them and we've discussed this to death on other threads so can we get back on topic.

Still waiting to hear from our freedom rider exactly what it is they are wanting and why they think they are entitled to it

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 09:56 ----------

How exactly are the government walking all over you?

What has a fun run got to do with anything?

Who's pointing a finger (apart from you at the PTE, the Police, British Transport Police, The government, the bankers).

You've gone from an local concessionary payment to the tv licence and heating allowance, thats a hell of a jump, whats your basis for that?

so i ask you again, what exactly are you protesting against and what do you want from it?

Could you be any more wrong? These cuts were brought about by SYPTE NOT central government and were done to bring South Yorkshire in line with EVERY OTHER COUNTY IN THE COUNTRY. Up till now the SYPTE have been able to give you free train travel and extended OAP pass times but now due to budget restrictions that EXTRA BONUS isn't sustainable so has been removed.

London, Merseyside, Newcastle also have extra concessions. The cheapest way to save money is to stop Sypte paying a £1.40 subisidy every time someone uses a concessionary pass on the supertram, and renegotiate a fixed price for the service. Also if I were to go to meadowhall, from Hackenthorpe, I would have to show my pass twice, and scanned twice giving £2.80 to supertram. As I have said before I campaigned with the freedom riders, and have always found the people courteous. If a person got on with a pram, they would help them get on. The train they use is full of empty seats, so it costs no more to run it than it does normally.

The main reason I stopped protesting was because I only ever wanted half price for pensioners and disabled people. I think because disabled people, received everything was a snub by sypte against the pensioners on the freedom riders. They only want what the disabled have which is free travel on trains. Why not just stop subsidised travel to West Yorkshire, for disabled and pensioners. I can understand why they are still protesting, and it is still getting media coverage. I think sypte should have treated disabled and pensioners equally, not try to divide and conquer

Edited by sheff1johnny

Guest busdriver1
London, Merseyside, Newcastle also have extra concessions.

London is a separate issue. The others have them - for now.

They are extras and as we have seen can be taken away at any time.

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 10:53 ----------

Is this still going on? I have no sympathy for them. They broke the law and it's people like them that push the fares up for everyone else who is honest enough to buy a ticket.

Protest away but surely they can do it in a more peaceable manner ? Those who campaigned about the change in the fares for disabled customers who had to get to work didn't carry on like this and it got changed. Maybe take a leaf out of their book?

Several of them are the same people, they seem to think that because the PTE found the cash from somewhere for the disabled people who had some credibility to their argument, it is a short step to getting it re-instated for pensioners who have no validity to their arguments.

I have been informed that 75% of the freedom riders are Mobility pass holders.

Most seem to originate from Barnsley where copper wire was invented by two folk fighting over a penny.

may i say thank you to Aslef and RMT unions are not only supporting this protest but making regular modest donations the latest being another £50 donation from Aslef union ..good sport respect we also got unite the union backing and many more backing this protest thank you brother and sisters ;)

I think this is totally disgusting.

A bet only a handful of these so called 'freedom riders' aka fare dodging law breakers are even union members.

I don't pay my union subs to ASLEF for it to donate to this unworthy cause.Rail staff are being verbally abused by these people as a result of these changes and the union should be protecting it's staff NOT these potential lawbreakers.

I have e mailed my union a lengthy letter asking them to explain and justify why they are supporting this and am also meeting my union rep today to discuss this and pulling out of the union.Alot of my colleagues were surprised to hear this and are of a similar mind.

Disgusting.

---------- Post added 01-07-2014 at 12:29 ----------

London, Merseyside, Newcastle also have extra concessions. The cheapest way to save money is to stop Sypte paying a £1.40 subisidy every time someone uses a concessionary pass on the supertram, and renegotiate a fixed price for the service. Also if I were to go to meadowhall, from Hackenthorpe, I would have to show my pass twice, and scanned twice giving £2.80 to supertram. As I have said before I campaigned with the freedom riders, and have always found the people courteous. If a person got on with a pram, they would help them get on. The train they use is full of empty seats, so it costs no more to run it than it does normally.

The main reason I stopped protesting was because I only ever wanted half price for pensioners and disabled people. I think because disabled people, received everything was a snub by sypte against the pensioners on the freedom riders. They only want what the disabled have which is free travel on trains. Why not just stop subsidised travel to West Yorkshire, for disabled and pensioners. I can understand why they are still protesting, and it is still getting media coverage. I think sypte should have treated disabled and pensioners equally, not try to divide and conquer

concessions..the KEY word.. not an automatic god given right or legal entitlement