Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

ask your union whats it about and listen very carefully to what thy are saying.. i bend over to no one not even you

Union? Im in no union

What makes you think that i am?

I'm asking you because you are the one coming on the forum and trying to put a view forward which people dont understand becuase you have repeatedly failed to actually tell us what you are trying to do.

Not asking you to bend over, just tell us what you are trying to achieve. Its not hard.

So a protest about free train travel, should they do it on a bus, or maybe at a taxi rank, or maybe an airport. Whether or not you agree with the demands, the right to protest should be upheld, as long as no one is being hurt, or held up in anyway.

They broke the law to attend the protest by traveling without paying.

By all means protest but make your way there in a legal manner.

As for the venue, there's a nice forecourt area just outside the train station, the bit where the 'steel' water-wall and fountains are.

id be interested to know how they are planning to get to court seeing as its at 9:15.. another freedom ride planned i wonder? mm where will the police be on monday..

Indeed, I'm sure you mentioned this before the thread got pruned.

The irony of course being that train travel wasnt free before 9am even under the old system. Surely the pensioners are not going to be hypocrites and claim a free ride?

There are "Laws" governing the activity of the police.

"Excessive force is unlawful."

The amount of force-used in making an arrest- must be "reasonable and proportionate ." A police officer or officers cannot lawfully assault a member of the public in order to make an arrest .

If they used :excessive, disproportionate and unreasonable force in arresting the individual-then there is a case to be made against the officers.

In conclusion,to think that the "police" always and unswervingly act within the law is naive .

Civil Society has put in place "checks and balances"; in order to-if appropriate-restrain its institutions from excesses, or from breaking the law.

Edited by petemcewan

let me translate.

The polices use of restraint was proportional in the situation. From the videos it looked like the situation was out of control and needed to be brought back under control. Given the dangerous context that the police were working in they needed to act fast to ensure peoples safety. This meant that the use of restraint was needed to regain some control...

let me translate.

The polices use of restraint was proportional in the situation. From the videos it looked like the situation was out of control and needed to be brought back under control. Given the dangerous context that the police were working in they needed to act fast to ensure peoples safety. This meant that the use of restraint was needed to regain some control...

There was 10 police, or security, that managed to get to two people out of around 100. The two people they arrested had been targeted, one was the press officer, and the other was the chairman of the Barnsley Retirees Action Group. If this group had been violent at all, I am sure that the police numbers would have been insufficent, to arrest the intended targets.

We also have to consider why a Sheffield Star reporter was told to delete all footage, from his mobile phone. I wasn't there, so I can not say what happened, but based on the evidence provided by the reporter, which co-oberates what the pensioners say, I am inclined to believe the police were over zealous. They didn't want the protesters to protest. I only wish the police would do this with the EDL.

Why are they protesting... SYPTE withdrew all concessions without any consultation with groups that these cuts would affect. Sheffiled CAB took them to a judicial review, and maybe this would be a better move for the pensioners to take. They are campaigning on behalf of all South YORKSHIRE pensioners, not just for themselves. If people just accept everything that is cut, then what will they cut next. Will our bins go to three weekly, parks not being cleaned.

I think they want to be listened to, to be able to speak to each council in South Yorkshire who can not find the extra £50,000 to fund their travel.

If I'm wrong on this then I apoligise, but I believe that SYPTE is the only transport executive that treats pensioners and disabled people differently.

SYPTE should not have given disabled people free rail travel, without giving it to the pensioners. They should have given both groups half price rail travel. I would feel guilty to travel on a train for free, when a pensioner would have to pay a lot more. I think if they had done half price rail travel for pensioners and disabled travellers, the protests would have ended.