Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

I think if they had done half price rail travel for pensioners and disabled travellers, the protests would have ended.

Well this is utter, utter codswallop. Not ONCE have I heard them say this. They want it for free again, nothing else will do, and they dont give a shiny steaming one what happens to any other group.

There was 10 police, or security, that managed to get to two people out of around 100. The two people they arrested had been targeted, one was the press officer, and the other was the chairman of the Barnsley Retirees Action Group. If this group had been violent at all, I am sure that the police numbers would have been insufficent, to arrest the intended targets.

We also have to consider why a Sheffield Star reporter was told to delete all footage, from his mobile phone. I wasn't there, so I can not say what happened, but based on the evidence provided by the reporter, which co-oberates what the pensioners say, I am inclined to believe the police were over zealous. They didn't want the protesters to protest. I only wish the police would do this with the EDL.

Why are they protesting... SYPTE withdrew all concessions without any consultation with groups that these cuts would affect. Sheffiled CAB took them to a judicial review, and maybe this would be a better move for the pensioners to take. They are campaigning on behalf of all South YORKSHIRE pensioners, not just for themselves. If people just accept everything that is cut, then what will they cut next. Will our bins go to three weekly, parks not being cleaned.

I think they want to be listened to, to be able to speak to each council in South Yorkshire who can not find the extra £50,000 to fund their travel.

If I'm wrong on this then I apoligise, but I believe that SYPTE is the only transport executive that treats pensioners and disabled people differently.

SYPTE should not have given disabled people free rail travel, without giving it to the pensioners. They should have given both groups half price rail travel. I would feel guilty to travel on a train for free, when a pensioner would have to pay a lot more. I think if they had done half price rail travel for pensioners and disabled travellers, the protests would have ended.

Codswallop:

1. Sheffield Star journos are known for their integrity and ability to get fact straight aren't they?

2. Being old is not a disability.

Police were called to arrest fare-dodgers. Two of those fare-dodgers VIOLENTLY resisted arrest, adding further to their charge sheet. They were dealt with appropriately.

Well this is utter, utter codswallop. Not ONCE have I heard them say this. They want it for free again, nothing else will do, and they dont give a shiny steaming one what happens to any other group.

How could we ever know, all I'm saying is I believe its wrong to treat these two groups differently. I will say this, I did go on the freedom rides, as I believed that making people pay full price was wrong. I personally wanted half price rail travel for both groups, and I got more than I wanted. I think though SYPTE did givethe disabled free rail travel as a snub to the pensioners. I am not going on anymore protests, but I also believe in their right to do it, as long as no one gets hurt.

How could we ever know, all I'm saying is I believe its wrong to treat these two groups differently. I will say this, I did go on the freedom rides, as I believed that making people pay full price was wrong. I personally wanted half price rail travel for both groups, and I got more than I wanted. I think though SYPTE did givethe disabled free rail travel as a snub to the pensioners. I am not going on anymore protests, but I also believe in their right to do it, as long as no one gets hurt.

If the pensioners were happy paying half price, they would have paid it.

They havent, they want it for free. Nobody anywhere has officially said that if the disabled pay half price then they will end their protest. Feel free to prove me wrong?

Codswallop:

1. Sheffield Star journos are known for their integrity and ability to get fact straight aren't they?

2. Being old is not a disability.

On point 1, lets see how bad BTP can be. Wonder why he was asked to delete his video, and also recieved an apology from Northern Rail.

British Transport Police pay £13k for unlawful arrest injury

Peter Garrigan

Peter Garrigan was left with facial injuries after the incident with British Transport Police officers

A man has received £13,000 compensation after he was unlawfully arrested and assaulted.

Peter Garrigan, 26, of Kirkby, Merseyside lodged a civil claim against British Transport Police (BTP) following an incident at Liverpool Lime Street station in March of 2009.

A jury at Liverpool Civil Court found an officer performed an unlawful arrest, assault and behaved improperly.

BTP apologised for the "failings". An internal investigation is taking place.

Mr Garrigan suffered injuries to the head, face and shoulders when he was arrested and assaulted.

Iain Gould, of David Phillips and Partners solicitors, said: "Mr Garrigan was a young man of exemplary character whose faith and confidence in the police is shot."

A BTP spokesman said: "We expect the very highest standards from our officers and staff and when someone falls to live up to those standards, it is a matter of great regret.

"We would like to apologise to Mr Garrigan for the failings in this case.

"This matter has been passed to our Professional Standards Department following this verdict and a full and thorough investigation will be carried out."

Point 2. In old age pensioners disability would be more like than in younger groups.

On point 1, lets see how bad BTP can be.

British Transport Police pay £13k for unlawful arrest injury

Peter Garrigan

Peter Garrigan was left with facial injuries after the incident with British Transport Police officers

A man has received £13,000 compensation after he was unlawfully arrested and assaulted.

Peter Garrigan, 26, of Kirkby, Merseyside lodged a civil claim against British Transport Police (BTP) following an incident at Liverpool Lime Street station in March of 2009.

A jury at Liverpool Civil Court found an officer performed an unlawful arrest, assault and behaved improperly.

BTP apologised for the "failings". An internal investigation is taking place.

Mr Garrigan suffered injuries to the head, face and shoulders when he was arrested and assaulted.

Iain Gould, of David Phillips and Partners solicitors, said: "Mr Garrigan was a young man of exemplary character whose faith and confidence in the police is shot."

A BTP spokesman said: "We expect the very highest standards from our officers and staff and when someone falls to live up to those standards, it is a matter of great regret.

"We would like to apologise to Mr Garrigan for the failings in this case.

"This matter has been passed to our Professional Standards Department following this verdict and a full and thorough investigation will be carried out."

Point 2. In old age pensioners disability would be more like than in younger groups.

Are you and Roberts the same person or related? Because you both keep posting irrelevant nonsense in regards to this incident.

I am trying to show you that you could be wrong, heaven forbid. BTP are used to dealing with football hooligans, and not pensioners, and I think this was shown in the manhandling of the pensioner in the video. No, I'm not related to Roberts.

Police were called to arrest fare-dodgers. Two of those fare-dodgers VIOLENTLY resisted arrest, adding further to their charge sheet. They were dealt with appropriately.

Where did you recieve this information, because in every article written there has not been one mention of the fare dodgers resisting arrest, violently or otherwise, If you can show me evidence then fair enough.

If they wanted to arrest the fare dodgers, why only arrest two people, one of whom wasn't a fare dodger. Have a look at the charges they were charged with.

why treat us differently? because we are?

Disabled people get their concession based on their impairment and the restrictions they have on their mobility, whereas older people get it by rights when they reach a certain age. Disabled people still need to work and go to school, college etc.

I wonder if the older people have conducted a petition recently (after the new changes) to see if pensioners are happy or not with them? Otherwise they are no better than the SYPTE they claim is not listening to them.

If they claim to represent pensioners a petition imo would carry more weight.