Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Not having a dig at you Resident, but for sheff1johnny and others of like mind, is it not because there is insufficient demand to enable them to run the service commercially? Just asking.

That's kinda the point. There's no commercial value in having such a bus service, especially because those that actually want it don't want to pay for it.

Because of this SYPTE added an extra subsidy so that they could use the train. This subsidy can no longer be afforded and since it paid for a service that is not within what the OAP pass entitles them to, it was withdrawn.

They keep banging on how this change is affecting their "freedom". Nothing stopping them going other than their own tight-fisted-ness. Plus plenty of buses to/from places within South Yorkshire where their pass will be valid.

You want to replace train services with bus services? Now you are just being stupid. Is it April 1st?

That isn't what I said, at all. I said there could be a bus service. When did I say replace the train

---------- Post added 12-07-2014 at 10:37 ----------

Not having a dig at you Resident, but for sheff1johnny and others of like mind, is it not because there is insufficient demand to enable them to run the service commercially? Just asking.

X64 Leeds to York. This was a first service.

Coastliner service Leeds to York. Not first, stagecoach but still a bus service to another city

Guest busdriver1
That isn't what I said, at all. I said there could be a bus service. When did I say replace the train

---------- Post added 12-07-2014 at 10:37 ----------

X64 Leeds to York. This was a first service.

Coastliner service Leeds to York. Not first, stagecoach but still a bus service to another city

A few corrections here.

1) coastliner is nothing to do with stagecoach it is a brand of transdev.

2) First and transdev run commercial services between york and leeds because there is a demand for it and they can be run without subsidy.

3) the sheffield to leeds service was withdrawn as it was not viable

4) the re-introduction of the service would be even less cost effective as the payments to bus companies in compensation for carrying concessions has in real terms been reduced as has the bus service operators grant. Cost of fuel has risen so its most unlikely it would ever cover its costs let alone make money.

5) when this service was withdrawn, concession pass holders were paying part of their fare, so, there has never been a FREE bus service for concessions on this route.

I was saying they could replace the train service with a bus service, and also it wouldn't be an exclusive service to pensioners. I just feel that this option may be more cost effective than paying for trains to west Yorkshire. Also then rail companies would also lower their price to compete for business. It isn't a demand, its a suggestion.

Do you really believe this?

A few corrections here.

1) coastliner is nothing to do with stagecoach it is a brand of transdev.

2) First and transdev run commercial services between york and leeds because there is a demand for it and they can be run without subsidy.

3) the sheffield to leeds service was withdrawn as it was not viable

4) the re-introduction of the service would be even less cost effective as the payments to bus companies in compensation for carrying concessions has in real terms been reduced as has the bus service operators grant. Cost of fuel has risen so its most unlikely it would ever cover its costs let alone make money.

5) when this service was withdrawn, concession pass holders were paying part of their fare, so, there has never been a FREE bus service for concessions on this route.

Okay, I agree with some points, but I think there could be a case for a trial run between Barnsley and Leeds, and see if demand was there or not. The main thing that would help, is a sole operator.

The point surely is that as busdriver1 has said a route has to be viable without a subsidy for it to operate? SYPTE have I think made it quite clear they cannot afford to make any more concessions so how would a route such as this make the necessary money when there is a perfectly good train service which is much quicker?

Okay, I agree with some points, but I think there could be a case for a trial run between Barnsley and Leeds, and see if demand was there or not. The main thing that would help, is a sole operator.

Who would pay for this trial? Particularly as the only way the pensioners would use it is if it were free.

National Express seem to run a popular service between Sheffield and Leeds. Perhaps you ought to talk to them about letting the pensioners on for free?

... there could be a case for a trial run between Barnsley and Leeds, and see if demand was there or not. The main thing that would help, is a sole operator.

Again the case is being made for a sub group of Barnsley pensioners to get free transport to Leeds, paid for in cash and loss of services by other South Yorkshire residents.

No solidarity with any other group except to latch on to disabled users.

Get in touch with Leeds shop owners to see if they will pay for the bus.

Many pensioners will be entitled to attendance allowance and a disabled bus pass due to disability which is much more likely in old age, and occurs more frequently as people age further...

They might now seek this out following the withdrawal of free travel, where they otherwise wouldn't have.