Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Pensioners don't get attendance allowance or carers allowance to give it it's proper name. I looked into this when my mum was looking after my dad but because they were both in their 70s and getting state pension, they didn't get it.

Pensioners don't get attendance allowance or carers allowance to give it it's proper name. I looked into this when my mum was looking after my dad but because they were both in their 70s and getting state pension, they didn't get it.

Also it's very hard, near impossible for a pensioner to get a mobility pass. I asked at the interchange, and he said if you were blind or deaf you may qualify, but you have to ask the council. So disabled pensioners do not get the same, as younger disabled people unless their deaf or blind.

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 20:04 ----------

Who would pay for this trial? Particularly as the only way the pensioners would use it is if it were free.

National Express seem to run a popular service between Sheffield and Leeds. Perhaps you ought to talk to them about letting the pensioners on for free?

Having realised that this is true, it would be pointless in a service between Leeds and Sheffield, as there are around 70 coaches a day. However their is a case for a bus between Barnsley and Leeds. This can easily be achieved by extending the 443, 444, X41 route which goes from Leeds, via Wakefield, and stops at Hall Green, it is around 7 miles from Barnsley. The subsidy paid to Northern Rail to take pensioners and disabled people into West Yorkshire could be cut, and paid to the bus company.

I would suggest this a sensible compromise, which people on here can not see, and niether can the pensioners on the freedom rides. I can hardly see a problem with this as the route is already running, and just needs extending a little. This would also let people from West Yorkshiire come to Barnsley and spend their money.

Now the pensioners have to pay, I think this would be a good time to try something new.

In an ideal world I would like to see the X32, X33 reinstated, but I have to realise this a pipe dream.

What is it exactly in Leeds that seems to attract the pensioners?

All off to go out drinking/clubbing down Lower Briggate? Shopping at Harvey Nicks?

Maybe Leeds pensioners need a break from the hectic lifestyle, and can chill in Barnsley.

Guest busdriver1

The subsidy paid to Northern Rail to take pensioners and disabled people into West Yorkshire could be cut, and paid to the bus company.

That would make it a tendered service and due process would have to be gone through for such a thing to happen.

The other problem with this is that it would extend the length of the route to a point where it could only be run under EU regulations and this would mean more drivers would be required therefore driving costs even further up.

I can not see any company wanting to saddle themselves with an EU route in a depot full of domestic mileage.

This means Arriva would almost certainly not tender for it so the whole route would need to go to tender making it far too expensive to support, and, it would have to take a different route as tendered services can not compete with commercial services.

In short, it can not and will not happen that way.

Also what happens if some pensioners want to use the train and just aren't interested in a bus service? Or indeed disabled travellers prefer the train to the bus? What numbers are we talking about that want this new bus service?

Apart from what busdriver1 has said above which I agree would rule it out, the sums not adding up here.

Guest busdriver1
Also what happens if some pensioners want to use the train and just aren't interested in a bus service? Or indeed disabled travellers prefer the train to the bus? What numbers are we talking about that want this new bus service?

Apart from what busdriver1 has said above which I agree would rule it out, the sums not adding up here.

Could be looking at as many as 2000 saying they would use it but if they were to get it that would fizzle down to about 10 passengers a week.

Could be looking at as many as 2000 saying they would use it but if they were to get it that would fizzle down to about 10 passengers a week.

Well you know better than me how need vs usage is worked out for a bus service but that doesn't seem to me to be sufficient to have a viable business case, given they'd expect it to be a concession fare arrangement.

Offset that against say 15 miles fuel (that's the 7 miles each way plus a bit extra burnt sitting in traffic), not counting the drivers wages, wear and tear on the bus etc. Also what happens if you live in the wrong part of Barnsley to catch said bus?

Pie in the sky!

Who would pay for this trial? Particularly as the only way the pensioners would use it is if it were free.

National Express seem to run a popular service between Sheffield and Leeds. Perhaps you ought to talk to them about letting the pensioners on for free?

Train to Leeds from Sheffield (return) is £10.80 - 30% discount if you are a pensioner....takes it to about £7.

National Express coach to Leeds from Sheffield (return) including pensioner discount £4.50.

Both take an hour.