Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Train to Leeds from Sheffield (return) is £10.80 - 30% discount if you are a pensioner....takes it to about £7.

National Express coach to Leeds from Sheffield (return) including pensioner discount £4.50.

Both take an hour.

Fares are also available at £5 90 return on trains that take 40 minutes.

Railcard and book in advance ( don't use Traveline).

Two together Railcard costs £15 each available to anyone over 16.

National validity.

Other similar fares:

York £7 90 return

Lincoln £5 90 return

Nottingham £5 30 return

Manchester £6 60 return

Train to Leeds from Sheffield (return) is £10.80 - 30% discount if you are a pensioner....takes it to about £7.

National Express coach to Leeds from Sheffield (return) including pensioner discount £4.50.

Both take an hour.

Sadly it seems that the freeloaders are not wanting discounted fares (which they already have) they want it to be free :(

Guest busdriver1
Well you know better than me how need vs usage is worked out for a bus service but that doesn't seem to me to be sufficient to have a viable business case, given they'd expect it to be a concession fare arrangement.

Offset that against say 15 miles fuel (that's the 7 miles each way plus a bit extra burnt sitting in traffic), not counting the drivers wages, wear and tear on the bus etc. Also what happens if you live in the wrong part of Barnsley to catch said bus?

Pie in the sky!

Exactly. Fares would not even cover one trip let alone all the trips that would need to be run. If this is an hourly service we are looking at about 10 return trips a day.

You can however get a bus to Barnsley from Sheffield, one from Barnsley to Wakefield, and then one from Wakefield to Leeds. Minimum service level every 30 minutes. Cost to OAP concessions = £0.00

Do WYPTE give free rides to pensioners? They certainly didnt used to do so.

Yes, but they don't provide train journeys for free. half price rail travel. Another difference is that in Leeds busses go to Hull, and York. So there is a better case for withdrawing free travel from the trains.

I don't know if its sypte which makes it too hard for other companies to operate in South Yorkshire.

At one time, you could get a bus to Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Stoke.

I know at one time stagecoach wouldn't use the bus station, as sypte were charging a high premium for the privilege.

Sheffield England's fourth largest city, only city with out a bus to another city.

SYPTE only transport executive to differentiate between pensioners and disabled people.

Not that I dont believe you here, but what buses do Manchester have to other cities? I cant imagine very many.

To/from Salford (counts having had city status since 1974) and Derby. Still more than Sheffield.

To/from Salford (counts having had city status since 1974) and Derby. Still more than Sheffield.

Yeah got a feeling the Salford one would be cited, a bit tenuous though given its effectively the same metropolitan area.

The Derby one is sensible though given (I think) there in no direct rail link between Manchester and Derby. (Something which Sheffield has, of course). Just took a look. FOUR services a day from Derby to Manchester, barely a "service" really.

Too much is being made of the "Sheffield has no direct bus to any other city" thing, it all depends on geography.

Too much is being made of the "Sheffield has no direct bus to any other city" thing, it all depends on geography.

With 8 or 9 other cities (depending whether you think Salford can really count) within 50 miles of Sheffield and no direct bus service to any of them?

manchester to liverpool...

Isnt that a coach?

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 15:16 ----------

With 8 or 9 other cities (depending whether you think Salford can really count) within 50 miles of Sheffield and no direct bus service to any of them?

Fair point. There is a big clump of mountains to the west which doesnt help with access to some of them.

As for the rest: meh. Decent train connections to them. Noticed the Manchester-Derby bus takes 2.5 hours, can shave an hour off that on the train surely, even with a change somewhere?

It is interesting how the pensioners group arent clamouring for a bus to Derby, or Nottingham. Can't understand for the life of me why Leeds is so "special". If anything, wouldnt Derby be easier now? Only one change needed in Chesterfield.

Edited by No User Name