Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

manchester to liverpool...

National Express coaches - no direct local bus service.

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 15:27 ----------

It is interesting how the pensioners group arent clamouring for a bus to Derby, or Nottingham. Can't understand for the life of me why Leeds is so "special".

Extending one red arrow (seemingly always having good pensioner loadings) service an hour from Chesterfield to Sheffield could create opportunities,

National Express coaches - no direct local bus service.

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 15:27 ----------

Extending one red arrow (seemingly always having good pensioner loadings) service an hour from Chesterfield to Sheffield could create opportunities,

It could although I dont know how the logistics would work of reimbursement from SYPTE for those journeys.

Sadly it seems that the freeloaders are not wanting discounted fares (which they already have) they want it to be free :(

I'm one of those freeloaders ;) One with a mobility pass :P

Yes, but they don't provide train journeys for free. half price rail travel. Another difference is that in Leeds busses go to Hull, and York. So there is a better case for withdrawing free travel from the trains.

I don't know if its sypte which makes it too hard for other companies to operate in South Yorkshire.

At one time, you could get a bus to Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Stoke.

I know at one time stagecoach wouldn't use the bus station, as sypte were charging a high premium for the privilege.

Sheffield England's fourth largest city, only city with out a bus to another city.

SYPTE only transport executive to differentiate between pensioners and disabled people.

And for that you should be lucky. West Yorkshire doesn't differentiate by not letting elderly or mobility pass users use their passes before 9.30 so think yourself lucky that SY do.

Neither do 23 of the TCA's outside of London.

20 TCA's don't offer any time enhancement at all but why let the facts get in the way of a whine.

If you had a service to Leeds (what about Wakefield or Bradford) which you seem to be obsessed with then what about other cities ? And like busdriver1 has pointed out a service from sheffield to Leeds comes under different rules and would have different costs but, again, why let the facts stop you.

You have enhancements above the minimum, stop wasting people's time by whinging. You could move to Torbay where they don't have ANY enhancements above the govt set statutory limits, what would you do then?

And for that you should be lucky. West Yorkshire doesn't differentiate by not letting elderly or mobility pass users use their passes before 9.30 so think yourself lucky that SY do.

Neither do 23 of the TCA's outside of London.

20 TCA's don't offer any time enhancement at all but why let the facts get in the way of a whine.

If you had a service to Leeds (what about Wakefield or Bradford) which you seem to be obsessed with then what about other cities ? And like busdriver1 has pointed out a service from sheffield to Leeds comes under different rules and would have different costs but, again, why let the facts stop you.

You have enhancements above the minimum, stop wasting people's time by whinging. You could move to Torbay where they don't have ANY enhancements above the govt set statutory limits, what would you do then?

Are you trying to spur me into an argument.

Have I once said anything about travel before 9.30

Thanks for proving my argument for me, that 20 of the transport authority's do not differentiate between pensioners and disabled people.

What I was trying to do, was saying SYPTE could cut the subsidy paid to Northern Rail by providing a bus service to Leeds. And what is wrong with wanting SYPTE to provide transport to other cities, which are in close proximity. I'm not winging. It was a reasonable suggestion, which in theroy would save money for SYPTE, and keep most people happy. I am disabled, but so are a lot of pensioners, and should be treated equally in my opinion. Also these busses would bring people into Sheffield, who may use our market, use our cafes, spend their money in our shops. Surely we should be doing everything we can to make Sheffield a destination that is easier to get to. Whatever you say about pensioners they do spend their money in local ecconimies, which could actually benefit Sheffield.

Go troll somewhere else please.

Thanks for proving my argument for me, that 20 of the transport authority's do not differentiate between pensioners and disabled people.

What I was trying to do, was saying SYPTE could cut the subsidy paid to Northern Rail by providing a bus service to Leeds. And what is wrong with wanting SYPTE to provide transport to other cities, which are in close proximity. I'm not winging. It was a reasonable suggestion, which in theroy would save money for SYPTE, and keep most people happy. I am disabled, but so are a lot of pensioners, and should be treated equally in my opinion. Also these busses would bring people into Sheffield, who may use our market, use our cafes, spend their money in our shops. Surely we should be doing everything we can to make Sheffield a destination that is easier to get to. Whatever you say about pensioners they do spend their money in local ecconimies, which could actually benefit Sheffield.

Highly doubtful, the number of people in Leeds who want a "day out" in Sheffield who dont already come by car or on the train will be minimal.

Oh, and just a little tip for you: someone holding the opposite opinion to you isnt a "troll", merely "someone with a different opinion". Maybe you aren't cut out for forums?

Not a troll when its facts but if you want to pick my comments apart and use them....

"Thanks for proving my argument for me, that 20 of the transport authority's do not differentiate between pensioners and disabled people..... I am disabled, but so are a lot of pensioners, and should be treated equally in my opinion. " - You are right, they dont becuase both of them get the minimum allowed under the ENCTS set up. South Yorkshire chose to give disabled people an enhancement (possibly as an initiative for them to access work, somehting pensioners would be vastly less likely to do) If you have a problem with that go moan at the mobility pass holders for having something extra instead of trying to say that the other 20 authorities arebetter because they dont allow anyone to travel pre 9:30.

Im sure your fellow mobility pass holding friends would really like to have 9:30 only in order to provide parity with elderly pass holders. Is that what you are after then, shall we give you parity with the elderly pass hodler and take away the enhancement??? If your argument is for equality then have it, and both sets of pass holders travel from 9:30 as in the 20 authorities you are holding as a shining example of the system been equal.

"What I was trying to do, was saying SYPTE could cut the subsidy paid to Northern Rail by poviding a bus service to Leeds." Which busdriver1 replied to by saying that running a service would cost more, come under different rules and ultimately not be cost efficient (because if it was then the X32/33 would still be running wouldn't it?)

"And what is wrong with wanting SYPTE to provide transport to other cities, which are in close proximity. I'm not winging. It was a reasonable suggestion, which in theroy would save money for SYPTE, and keep most people happy.".

In that case why do you base your case around Leeds? Why should SYPTE provide a service outside of SY? If a private commercial company thought it could make money by running a service then it would.

SYPTE should provide funding for tendered services for the people of South Yorkshire to travel within South Yorkshire OR alternatively why aren't you protesting in Leeds at WYCA for them to fund a service from Leeds to Sheffield. Why shouldnt they provide a funded service to Derby? Where do you stop and how would you fund it?

How would it save money for SYPTE by taking the money it pays to NR and giving it to a bus operator through a subsidy. How would that make people happy? woudl the PTE give them the money back? No so how would it make people happy except the elderly/disabled that wish to be in Leeds before 10 (thats providing the bus doesnt get stuck on the M1 in rush hour whereas a train doesnt have that problem)

"Also these busses would bring people into Sheffield, who may use our market, use our cafes, spend their money in our shops. Surely we should be doing everything we can to make Sheffield a destination that is easier to get to. Whatever you say about pensioners they do spend their money in local ecconimies, which could actually benefit Sheffield."

REALLY?????? your entire aim of this thread has been to get a bus out of Sheffield to Leeds. Tell me how this will benefit the businesses of Sheffield? Not once have you mentioned that people woudl use it to come in. You can already travel between the two cities 3/4 times an hour stopping off enroute on other locations (rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Meadowhall, etc) so you can go help their local economies. Its called a train and it isnt difficult to catch.

Sheffield is not a hard place to get to at all, you just dont want to pay to get here. Thats the be all and end all of the argument. There is nothing at all stopping you travelling at the times within the concessionary rules. If a senior citizen makes the choice to travel outside of the times then that is their choice, no-one is forcing them to spend £8.60 on a return rail ticket (incidentally what price woudl you charge fare paying passengers on a bus for a return journey?).

You are wanting to replace one form of transport with another purely for your own financial gain and expecting the PTE to pick up the tab are you not?

I aint a troll but your argument has so many holes it is unbelievable and you seem unable to validate anything with a reasoned and founded response. Here is my summary as i see it. Feel free to disagree

Point - Counterpoint

1. You want equality for Disabled and Elderly ENCTS card holders with regard to time that travel is permitted - Make both 9:30 then as 20 other authorities have done and in line with govt regulations. This would save the PTE money wouldn't it and give you parity whcih is your objective.

2. You want to take the subsidy from NR to fund a bus service from Sheff-Leeds - You would take the money from a service that also provides access to other locations in SY (Meadowhall, Rotherham, Swinton, Mexborough, Conisborough, Doncaster, etc) and give that money to a bus operator so they can provide a direct service form Sheffield to Leeds. How does that provide access to Leeds for the people of these towns and how does it enable local business to increase income if you are not bringing people to these places?

3. Providing a bus would increase the local economy - Not by taking people/money out of SY you wouldn't and see point 2 about the other places in SY or are you only concerned about Sheffield? What about Rotherham market, Elsecar Heratige park or Consiborough Castle? All accessible by train from Leeds and other areas for people wishing to come into SY from outside but not (or at the very least decreased) if you remove the train subsidy to pay for a bus, would the bus be direct or also service these towns?

4. You want Sheffield to be more accessible. By removing access for people along the train route? Some of whom rely on this link for work, pleasure, family purposes. How is that making it more accessible?

The choices are simple

You want to travel outside of the permitted time - Pay like the rest of us have to. Its your choice to travel, no-one elses.

You want parity for disabled and Elderly for times - Have it. But from 9:30 like a substantial part of the country.

What else is in your argument?

Edited by sheffbag