Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

Are you trying to spur me into an argument.

Have I once said anything about travel before 9.30

Thanks for proving my argument for me, that 20 of the transport authority's do not differentiate between pensioners and disabled people.

What I was trying to do, was saying SYPTE could cut the subsidy paid to Northern Rail by providing a bus service to Leeds. And what is wrong with wanting SYPTE to provide transport to other cities, which are in close proximity. I'm not winging. It was a reasonable suggestion, which in theroy would save money for SYPTE, and keep most people happy. I am disabled, but so are a lot of pensioners, and should be treated equally in my opinion. Also these busses would bring people into Sheffield, who may use our market, use our cafes, spend their money in our shops. Surely we should be doing everything we can to make Sheffield a destination that is easier to get to. Whatever you say about pensioners they do spend their money in local ecconimies, which could actually benefit Sheffield.

Go troll somewhere else please.

did i miss something somewhere in this ramble? Are you saying that the service provided by Nat Express to leeds isnt good enough so you want a SECOND company providing another service? If so, have a word with Megabus, they seem to like doing alternate services to nat express

did i miss something somewhere in this ramble? Are you saying that the service provided by Nat Express to leeds isnt good enough so you want a SECOND company providing another service? If so, have a word with Megabus, they seem to like doing alternate services to nat express

Megabus already do 10 busses a day from Meadowhall to Leeds at £5.00

Connectivity from Sheffield to Leeds pre 23:00

Megabus - 10 (2 pre 9:30)

National Express - 20 (4 pre 9:30)

Train - 72 (20 pre 9:30)

So if 102 services is not enough to say that the 2 cities are well connected then how many do the "freedom riders" want

Guest busdriver1

So if 102 services is not enough to say that the 2 cities are well connected then how many do the "freedom riders" want

Simple, there should be one from their doorstep to wherever they want to go and they do not give a toss who pays for it as long as it is not them.

They want parity? Lets give them parity with those who were travelling when they were paying for it. Paid bus and tram travel and no rail concession.

They are already getting a lot more than the previous generation but still want more. Hypocritical freeloaders.

Highly doubtful, the number of people in Leeds who want a "day out" in Sheffield who dont already come by car or on the train will be minimal.

Oh, and just a little tip for you: someone holding the opposite opinion to you isnt a "troll", merely "someone with a different opinion". Maybe you aren't cut out for forums?

When somebody tells you to move to Torbay, and tells you to stop winging, it is offensive. Your view is different to mine, as is busdrivers1 I respect your opinions though, as you never make personal comments, and stick to the argument / debate, But I don't believe in personal attacks. they are the reasons I classed him as a troll. I actually respected busdrivers 1 opinion until he said hyprocritcal freeloaders.

1 question for busdriver1, do you get free bus travel?

Edited by sheff1johnny

When somebody tells you to move to Torbay, and tells you to stop winging, it is offensive. Your view is different to mine, as is busdrivers1 I respect your opinions though, as you never make personal comments, and stick to the argument / debate, But I don't believe in personal attacks. they are the reasons I classed him as a troll. I actually respected busdrivers 1 opinion until he said hyprocritcal freeloaders.

1 question for busdriver1, do you get free bus travel?

Torbay is the example that the local authority does not have to offer anything above the govt minimum . Thats why i chose them as a place that you can use in your argument to showcase what is one end of the enhancement spectrum against others. That was not personal and if you took it as it then that is your intrepretation and not the intention.

Again i invite you to pass comment on the facts and opinions i have put.

Simple, there should be one from their doorstep to wherever they want to go and they do not give a toss who pays for it as long as it is not them.

So basically they are wanting a free taxi service?

---------- Post added 15-07-2014 at 13:26 ----------

Thanks for that :) For some reason I assumed that megabus only did London!!

Torbay is the example that the local authority does not have to offer anything above the govt minimum . Thats why i chose them as a place that you can use in your argument to showcase what is one end of the enhancement spectrum against others. That was not personal and if you took it as it then that is your intrepretation and not the intention.

Again i invite you to pass comment on the facts and opinions i have put.

I may have took offence unduly, and may have misinterpreted your comment, and with that in mind, sorry for calling you a troll. you ask me how sypte could fund travel to Leeds.

again I will say this, remove the subsidy paid to Northern Rail, which takes people from Sheffield to Leeds. SYPTE could just pay for the free train travel in South Yorkshire. What is left over could pay for a bus which would run from Barnsley to Leeds, as has been well pointed out it would be a futile exercise from Sheffield. So it is not competition with other bus routes, it could run along the motorway. Its fare should be around a one third of the train fare, to make it an attractive alternative to the train.

If Sheffield were to have buses to other cities, Nottingham, Derby, it would be done on a trial basis, to see if they were cost effective. These services would obviously not be exclusive to pensioners. I don't know the logistics, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be that hard. Pronto or Red Arrow could be extended. I don't know how bus routes work, but I imagine that sypte is putting up the red tape to make these things impossible. I could be wrong, often am to be truthful

Guest busdriver1
I may have took offence unduly, and may have misinterpreted your comment, and with that in mind, sorry for calling you a troll. you ask me how sypte could fund travel to Leeds.

again I will say this, remove the subsidy paid to Northern Rail, which takes people from Sheffield to Leeds. SYPTE could just pay for the free train travel in South Yorkshire. What is left over could pay for a bus which would run from Barnsley to Leeds, as has been well pointed out it would be a futile exercise from Sheffield. So it is not competition with other bus routes, it could run along the motorway. Its fare should be around a one third of the train fare, to make it an attractive alternative to the train.

If Sheffield were to have buses to other cities, Nottingham, Derby, it would be done on a trial basis, to see if they were cost effective. These services would obviously not be exclusive to pensioners. I don't know the logistics, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be that hard. Pronto or Red Arrow could be extended. I don't know how bus routes work, but I imagine that sypte is putting up the red tape to make these things impossible. I could be wrong, often am to be truthful

SYPTE have virtually no say in cross boundary services especially commercial ones. Any red tape is from the traffic commissioners and is there for overall protection of passengers by not allowing short term variations or extensions unless they follow strict rules. Both the extensions you refer to would put the services into EU hours so the costs would rise out of proportion.

The cost of such an extension would be too high a risk for any commercial operator to try without some sort of certainty regarding possible traffic.

You can however get an X17 to chesterfield then a red arrow from there.