Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

This group do not even support others amongst their own age group.

No support for the under 66s who do not even get a bus pass.

No support for ENCTs users in rural areas.

No support for other South Yorkshire users to enable them to shop in towns in adjoining counties.

Are you saying this is a good thing or a bad thing? are you in favour of subsidy for these groups or against it?

Sheffield council should never have allowed the buses to be run by private company's.

When they were ran by the council there were more of them, very cheap fares (less need for cars) and pensioners went free after 9.30am.

People got out more, stayed fitter (especially children) less strain on the health service.

I guess some would call how things are now "progress" :roll:

Sheffield council should never have allowed the buses to be run by private company's.

When they were ran by the council there were more of them, very cheap fares (less need for cars) and pensioners went free after 9.30am.

People got out more, stayed fitter (especially children) less strain on the health service.

I don't think it was the Council's decision. A central government decree IIRC.

Everyone had to change, I think, except London.

A mistake in my opinion. I don't mind who operates the buses, but I think cities would be better off if buses were to be heavily subsidized, so they were free or nearly free at the point of use. Many people with cars would see little point in using their cars for commuting, making the roads better for everyone, including those who wish to continue to drive. But this is the subject for a different thread

Edited by Eater Sundae

How much of an increase in council tax would this mean..if no increase then what would you suggest be cut to pay for it..?

How much of an increase in council tax would this mean..if no increase then what would you suggest be cut to pay for it..?

There used to be heavy subsidy of SYPTE buses, and very cheap fares. When the subsidy stopped, do you remember a drop in council tax (or probably rates at that time)?

There used to be heavy subsidy of SYPTE buses, and very cheap fares. When the subsidy stopped, do you remember a drop in council tax (or probably rates at that time)?

That was then,this is now..what do you suggest is cut to pay for it ?

How about income tax? at least that's fair: you only have to contribute more if you have more money.

That'll go down well..."you have to pay more tax 'cos a few people want to ride for next to nothing...." Do you want to pay more tax Douglas?

That'll go down well..."you have to pay more tax 'cos a few people want to ride for next to nothing...." Do you want to pay more tax Douglas?

Yes, if it improves public services.

and you can't really dismiss the bus-travelling public as "a few people."