Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

I think it's high time BTP invested in some water cannons. Not only would this stop the protests but it might stop the station stinking of urine once the manky old pensioners have been there!

As a "manky old pensioner" I object to your comment. This thread is all about us "manky old pensioners" not being allowed to have free travel and a free pee at the stations, it was one of the few pleasures left to us in our dotage that has now been withdrawn.

As a "manky old pensioner" I object to your comment. This thread is all about us "manky old pensioners" not being allowed to have free travel and a free pee at the stations, it was one of the few pleasures left to us in our dotage that has now been withdrawn.

Will you be attempting to break the law this week in protest, then?

Will you be attempting to break the law this week in protest, then?

Sadly no, our local history group will be traveling on a visit, planned before the changes, to visit an interesting historical building by rail this week. According to the rail website each member will now have to pay £14.80 for the rail fare, for many of our members finding an extra £14.80 for this visit is not easy.

These changes mean that all the future plans now have to be reorganized to avoid traveling by rail.

And in other news... the NHS says it can't afford new breast cancer drug that can extend terminally ill patients lives by up to 6 months.

We can't afford everything. Cuts are being made all over the place. Some cuts are life reducing and others 'pleasure' being reducing. I think we need some perspective because the 'freedom rider' pensioners have let one victory go to their heads and are now looking selfish and greedy.

Sadly no, our local history group will be traveling on a visit, planned before the changes, to visit an interesting historical building by rail this week. According to the rail website each member will now have to pay £14.80 for the rail fare, for many of our members finding an extra £14.80 for this visit is not easy.

These changes mean that all the future plans now have to be reorganized to avoid traveling by rail.

Everyone else has to pay to travel on the train, why should everyone else subsidise your travel?

An "extra" £14.80?

I am quite sure that no return rail fare within South Yorkshire, or even to Leeds, normally costs £29.60.

And in other news... the NHS says it can't afford new breast cancer drug that can extend terminally ill patients lives by up to 6 months.

We can't afford everything. Cuts are being made all over the place. Some cuts are life reducing and others 'pleasure' being reducing. I think we need some perspective because the 'freedom rider' pensioners have let one victory go to their heads and are now looking selfish and greedy.

We can afford to feed Moses stuck on a mountain, and deliver it by Helicopter, Now thats a take away. Pity about the food banks in this country though.

Well said!

In no way do I object some of my tax and/or money I spend on public transport being spent to increase the independence and reduce financial burden of the elderly and disabled but this group has gone too far with their desire for free train travel regardless of the consequences for other people.

I really hope SYPTE don't cave to their demands, i fact I'd be happy if all those protesting had their passes confiscated for not appreciating the benefits they have already.

I actually work in Barnsley (and get there from Sheffield on public transport) and while it's highly unlikely I will be around the station at 11am (too busy working), if I do find myself in the vicinity, I'll be supporting Northern Rail and the BTP more than the protesters.

Seconded.

I certainly will not be supporting this "protest" and think the demands are absolutely disgraceful.

What "right" do these people have for free train travel. Why the hell should they.

Whilst I dont have any objection to free bus passes in the local area to give granny some independance and get her to the doctors or in and out of town I certainly do object to mine and everyone elses hard earned taxes being use to fund day trips out on the railways here there and everywhere.

Many of this current generation of "hard done" pensioners have not served king and country, they have not suffered through the world wars, they have not been housebound paupers living in their ramshakle slums. Many have had long and successful careers, Many have invested into the property market, Many have built up a significant amount of savings, investments and private pensions. Many will have more disposable income than your average full time worker. Pay your own bloody train fares.

What next? Sheffield freedom flyers protesting in Manchester Airport? After all, how possibly could the poor old dears be expected to pay for a flight eh? Its their rights init? :roll:

Guest busdriver1

Well at least you have the time available to make all the necessary plans, unless you are going to go out and protest somewhere about the withdrawal of something you are not entitled to.