Sheffield freedom ride pensioners

There is no good bus connection between Barnsley and Sheffield or leeds.

If you want to go Sheffield to Doncaster there is a reasonable X78 bus available. Even Sheffield chesterfield is better than Sheffield Barnsley.

The Barnsley Sheffield bus connection goes all over taking much too long only once an hour, it is not a reasonable acceptable option.

265 is under an hour journey. I think you can change at Barnsley for Leeds.

My nan uses it fine, used to use it sometimes in preference to the train, when she had free train travel.

There probably is demand now for a new service funded essentially out of the free bus travel scheme - Probably more expensive than allowing pensioners on the train. Lots of empty seats now the elderly have to pay a bit towards them.

Shame so many with much lower incomes than the pensioners don't get even a discount if you ask me.

I think we should extend free bus and train or highly subsidised train travel to all. It's much cheaper than subsidising private services and makes public transport actually accessible to thepublic facilitating the travel of all citizens regardless of race, creed, colour, income.

Don't get me wrong, I think the change to pensioner passes should be reversed, I just think free travel would be better extended to the poorest, and that free travel for the poorest is actually more important than free travel for pensioners with a decent non means tested dole.

But both of those groups and everyone else should be entitled to free travel IMO.

You have to wonder how much of our economy is actually the reimbursement of travel, the state funding people's journeys be it through bus passes themselves, company expenses & tax deductions, and the funding of travel for various clients.

Most people will not be entitled to a ENCTS bus pass until they are 66.

So it is most people nationwide who will not be able to get their passes

not just South Yorks.

I understood it will be about 2019-2020, before you have to be 66 to be eligible unless you have different information?

I was 65 before I got mine.

---------- Post added 29-11-2014 at 19:45 ----------

Most people will not be entitled to a ENCTS bus pass until they are 66.

So it is most people nationwide who cannot get their passes

not just South Yorks.

I understood it will be about 2019-2020? before you have to be 66 to be eligible unless you have different information?

I was 65 before I got mine. Duplication please remove

Edited by bazjea

So it is most people nationwide who will not be able to get their passes

not just South Yorks.

I understood it will be about 2019-2020, before you have to be 66 to be eligible unless you have different information?

I was 65 before I got mine.

If you are 60 today you will be 66 when you get your bus pass and state pension.

These rules only apply to England.

The arrested Barnsley folk therefore will have had a free bus pass for 5-6 years longer than others in their sixties and they want free train travel as well.

So you support people breaking the law then? It was a simple enough question. Because if they refuse to pay on the train, that is what they are doing. If this was a group of 15 year old kids you would be up in arms about it.

They get free travel on buses.

And if they lost limbs, they would be classed as disabled and therefore don't need to be part of this silly protest as they get all travel free anyway, and rightly so.

As I understand it, people who are disabled have their disabled pass taken off them when they reach pension age, leaving them with the same restrictions as pensioners. ( I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so )

As I understand it, people who are disabled have their disabled pass taken off them when they reach pension age, leaving them with the same restrictions as pensioners. ( I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so )

It depends on what rate of disability you are getting. I was told that if you get the higher rates, not sure what that is, you can keep your disabled pass indefinitely, but you will need to check that out.