Victorian Classroom

Is there anyone on here who attended Springfield School during the late 50's - early 60's

and their main classroom was the Victorian one ?

It was mine.......I remember it..... oh so well.

4 banks of oak desk's all with inkwells, the desk's being in 3 stages of height up wooden floor steps.

Two doors - one led to the other classrooms within the large hall where games on playcentre nights use to take place, the other door leading to some stone steps that took you down to the top end of the playground.

My teacher at the time was a Ms Hall.....a grumpy old woman who always shouted, she taught us how to do ' Joined Up Writing ' or ' Double ' as some people use to call it.

I've read on here that my old classroom has been left has it was all those years ago, would love to see some old photo's of this classroom full of children in the early 1900's.

Funny how you remember things in clarity from 50+ years ago. but forget things that happened a short time ago !

Is there anyone on here who attended Springfield School during the late 50's - early 60's

and their main classroom was the Victorian one ?

It was mine.......I remember it..... oh so well.

4 banks of oak desk's all with inkwells, the desk's being in 3 stages of height up wooden floor steps.

Two doors - one led to the other classrooms within the large hall where games on playcentre nights use to take place, the other door leading to some stone steps that took you down to the top end of the playground.

My teacher at the time was a Ms Hall.....a grumpy old woman who always shouted, she taught us how to do ' Joined Up Writing ' or ' Double ' as some people use to call it.

I've read on here that my old classroom has been left has it was all those years ago, would love to see some old photo's of this classroom full of children in the early 1900's.

Funny how you remember things in clarity from 50+ years ago. but forget things that happened a short time ago !

hiya john habs, can you tell me which was the victorian class as when i left at 15 easter 1953 all the classes were in full time use, the banked classes as i remember were the central two on the second and top floors, i was in miss hall's class in 1947, every morning without fail we had times table and pound shillings and pence, to this day i still remember the tables,i remember in 1946 they had a clearout of the cloakroom in the corridor outside miss hall's class where the children had over the years left their coats and caps and such.

hiya john habs, can you tell me which was the victorian class as when i left at 15 easter 1953 all the classes were in full time use, the banked classes as i remember were the central two on the second and top floors, i was in miss hall's class in 1947, every morning without fail we had times table and pound shillings and pence, to this day i still remember the tables,i remember in 1946 they had a clearout of the cloakroom in the corridor outside miss hall's class where the children had over the years left their coats and caps and such.

Hello willybite, the Victorian class was the largest of the classrooms on the first floor - the floor / hall where the play centre use to take place - the Victorian Classroom was the one where the snooker table use to be directly outside it.

You have confused me in saying ' second and top floors ' as there were only two levels of classrooms......the first level being at ground level ( small hall where the piano was + two classrooms ) the first floor having 3 classrooms.

The cloakroom went from the lower hall up to the entrance of the lower playground - when I was there, Ms Hall's classroom was the Victorian one on the first floor - we too had times table, pounds shillings and pence, along with spelling test's...that was in the early 50's.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello willybite, the Victorian class was the largest of the classrooms on the first floor - the floor / hall where the play centre use to take place - the Victorian Classroom was the one where the snooker table use to be directly outside it.

You have confused me in saying ' second and top floors ' as there were only two levels of classrooms......the first level being at ground level ( small hall where the piano was + two classrooms ) the first floor having 3 classrooms.

The cloakroom went from the lower hall up to the entrance of the lower playground - when I was there, Ms Hall's classroom was the Victorian one on the first floor - we too had times table, pounds shillings and pence, along with spelling test's...that was in the early 50's.

hiya john habs ,

my memory of the school layout in the mid to late 40s and 3 years of the 50s, was j1. mrs barret, j2 was miss hall, in between was a third teacher, that was on the ground floor, the only thing i remember was the maypole near miss halls class, then upstairs on the first floor were the 2 banked classrooms. mr grocott, and j3 mr hewson,the piano was in this hall. j4 mrs taylor's class looked out over cavendish st, the other class was mrs helliwell. then on the top floor above mrs helliwell's class was s1 mr price, the year after mr price had a class s2 in the hall where we had to each carry our desk and chair over to the defunk woodwork room, then it was a mr barnsley another banked classroom, then miss martin another one here also, over to the class over mrs taylors, was s3 mr allen, then s4 was mr boyce, he retired the same day as i left easter 1953. ps the hall where mr price taught us had to be cleared ready for the play centre where there were a snooker table which was there all the time, 2 small billiard table's and 2 full size table tennis tables you had to collect t/t and billiard balls from headmasters office, I remember for my 12/13 birthday getting a johnny leach bat, victor barna were the top t/t bats at that time, also mr allen would show silent films in his classroom charge was 1 old penny.

in my years at school there were 17 class rooms all occupied on the junior/senior part alone were 12, and in the 1st floor hall were dozens of desks where we had our morning assembly, and hot dinners, I still remember two of the dinner ladies, a mrs turner,mrs franks.

mrs turner had 3 girls, marion ,joan. and Brenda, Brenda I think she married peter rose who were both in my class, mrs frank's son was called peter, then there was mr and mrs allen the caretakers,whose son was also called peter.

Archived