What did people eat from say 30 's to late 70 's

Olive oil was bought from the chemist, in a small medicine sized bottle. Used as a medicine or IIRC for loosening ear wax. Not for cooking.

In the late 50s and early 60s, I remember my mum buying lots of food loose, eg butter, lard, flour and sugar - weighed out to the amount you wanted, and wrapped or bagged.

We got our first fridge, a gas one, in the early 60s, and our first gas cooker in the 50s - until then we had used the coal fired range.

As others have said, food was usually bought daily, or maybe every couple of days. Not meat every day. Macaroni cheese or cauliflower cheese were common in our house. GAlso, my dad would bring home rabbits.

We used to fill the bath (which was in the kitchen) from our Ascot geyser, via a long rubber tube. The heat output was so small that you had to run it slowly to get the water hot enough. It took ages to fill the bath.

Paraffin lamp in the toilet at the bottom of the garden to stop it freezing in winter. Also, paraffin heaters in the bedrooms if it got really cold at night.

Moved to a house with an indoor bathroom in 1966.

The old house was lived in by others until, at least, the mid 70s, before being knocked down.

In 1966

As for the 'Copper' washer, I well remember my grandmother's house on mondays. Monday was the traditional washday and was pretty much a days work.

THE COPPER

WASHING IMPLEMENTS

Not forgetting the washboard for the awkward stains ! A washday device that was adopted by the skiffle group percussionist and played wearing thimbles on the fingers !!

In the late 50s and early 60s, I remember my mum buying lots of food loose, eg butter, lard, flour and sugar - weighed out to the amount you wanted, and wrapped or bagged.

and loose tea. And visits on Sunday morning to the 'egg man' where you came back with a large tray of eggs.

Tinned red salmon for a posh salad at the weekend, or if you really wanted to push the boat out, you could perhaps afford a quarter of boiled ham from (Philips mmmmmmmm gorgeous) on home made bread cakes left to rise in front of the coal fire of course. And people ate roe from the chip shop a lot more often, and scraps.

Reading this Some of you had it great.... We had six of us kids in one bed with old coats and old curtains keeping us warm. Never needed or heard of a fridge/freezer because our house was so cold everything had ice on it. We all shared the same bath water once a week. Kids today have no idea.

Before fridges there were things called pantries. A pantry was a food storage closet with a stone shelf. Shopping was done on a daily basis at small family owned shops.

We ate lamb chops, liver, beef, pork, along with veggies, Yorkshire pud, spuds and gravy Once a week sent out for fish and chips

First time I saw a fridge was when I arrived in Canada

Archived